Chapter fifteen

Jordan nudges me with his elbow, jarring me from my stare off with Reece's body a few tables down from where we're sitting. He must get lonely sitting by himself all the time.

    "Go talk to him," Jordan nudges me again. "I know you want to."

    I roll my eyes at him. Ever since Luke spilled the beans about me sleeping over at Reece's to Jordan, he's been teasing me about how I'm supposedly attracted to Reece. He refuses to let it go even after I told him we were just friends and nothing more.

    "I do not."

    He raises a brow, "then why are you staring at him?"

    "I'm going to play my hopelessly-in-love-best-friend card and remind you of all the times I caught you staring at Lena."

    His cheeks redden and he glances at the girl in question sitting across from him. "I stared at her because I like her, what's your excuse?"

    I sputter, trying hard to come up with an answer, "shut up."

    "That's what I thought," he smirks.

    "You still haven't thanked me for last night."

    Jordan called me last night to go see a movie but I couldn't go because I'm grounded. Instead I decided to play a little matchmaker. I had called Lena to ask her to join us, but then I didn't show up. When Jordan called to see where I was, I told him that I forgot I was grounded and they should enjoy the movie together. A few hours later, Lena texted me flipping out in excitement because Jordan asked her out. My job was done.

    "Yeah, yeah, yeah," he grumbles. "I owe you one."

    "Damn straight."

    My eyes involuntarily shift back to Reece and Jordan sighs heavily, "would you just go? You're killing me with all this creepy staring."

    Knowing he isn't going to let this go, I get up from my chair and stroll towards Reece. His head snaps up from his lunch tray when I sit opposite him and he gives me a questioning glare.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm sitting with you."

"I can see that, but why are you sitting with me?"

"You're my friend and I felt like sitting with you today," I shrug.

He leans towards me. "You shouldn't sit with me at school. You're going to get the same treatment as I do."

In that moment, I realize how vulnerable Reece really is. His bad boy front doesn't hide the fact that the way people treat him bothers him, at least it doesn't hide it from me. I can see it in his eyes the way the rumours and stares affect him even though he tries to hide it.

"I don't care what other people think of me, Reece. I'm going to sit wherever I damn well please."

His eyes bore into me for what seems like forever trying to gauge my expression to see if I'm being serious or not. He must realize that I'm deadly serious as he nods and looks back down to his lunch.

"Look what we have here," an annoying voice sneers behind me.

I turn my head in Scott's direction. "What do you want?"

"Just coming to see how the happy couple is doing."

I raise a brow, "You seriously have nothing better to do?"

Reece's entire body tensed up as soon as Scott spoke the first word. He simply glares ahead, and unlucky for me, I'm sitting directly in front of him.