Chapter seventeen

My gaze is locked on Reece's figure as he leans against his bike before class. He's scowling at nothing in particular, looking deep in thought, and I silently wonder what he's thinking about.

    All of a sudden, an elbow connects with my side, jarring me from my thoughts of Reece. Jordan smirks slyly, "instead of staring at him, why don't you go talk to him?"

    Rolling my eyes, I mumble, "I wasn't staring."

    Even though I was.

    Jordan raises a brow, looking like he doesn't believe me, which he shouldn't, "Mhm."

    I elbow him harshly like he did to me and walk over to Reece.

"Hey," I stop in front of him.

His head snaps up to look at me with slightly wide eyes. He really must have been lost in his thoughts to not hear my footsteps walking toward him.

"Hi," he smiles slightly.

"Have lunch with me today."

A frown replaces his smile, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"I wasn't asking; I was telling. You have no choice but to cooperate," I demand.

As he is about to protest, I pull the cutest puppy eyes I can manage and almost immediately his mouth snaps shut, his gaze softening.

"Fine, I'll do it," he grumbles.

"Great, I'll see you at lunch," I grin, walking back to Jordan and the others.

Jordan sidles up next to me when I get there and throws an arm over my shoulders, "So, what was that all about?"

"I just asked if he wanted to have lunch with us today."

"And he agreed?" Jordan asks shocked.

"After some persuasion."

"Well this should be interesting," he chuckles.

I raise an eyebrow at his cryptic reply, but before I can ask him what he means the bell rings.

I was walking toward the cafeteria when I spotted Reece at his locker in the hallway. Sneaking up behind him, I get ready to grab his sides to scare him.

"Don't even think about it, Quinn," he twists around to raise a brow at my hunched position, my arms extended outward to tickle him.

My mouth drops open and I stare at him bewildered. How did he know it was me? I swear I was being as stealthy as a ninja turtle, preferably Donatello.

"How did you know it was me?"

"You can't sneak up on a fighter," he rolls his eyes.

"I thought I was stealthier than that."

"You're about as stealthy as an elephant."

My eyes narrow into slits. "Are you calling me fat?"

His own eyes widen into saucers. "What!? No!"

I burst out laughing, "you should have seen your face!"

"Are you done?" Reece asks once my laughter dies down.

I grin. "Not nearly."

Reece turns his back to me sauntering down the corridor in the opposite direction of the cafeteria. I quickly grasp his arm, "where do you think you're going?"

"Away."

"I don't think so," I tug on his arm to get him to follow me, "we're going to the cafeteria."