Chapter Eleven: Dress Code Detention and a Spell

Australe Leo Black ~ Friday, September 5th, 1975 ~ Hogwarts, Hogsmead, Scotland

Today was the day of my detention. I had decided that since I was going to learn about the dress code tonight, why would I start wearing the correct dress code now when I wouldn't even be doing my lesson learning till tonight. So instead of wearing the ugly sweater and scratchy skirt, I put on a pair of slacks, a white long sleeve and my robes. I was still wearing colours along the same lines of what my uniform should have been, but just not my uniform. I thought it was a pretty nice outfit until Professor McGonagall yelled at me for not using the dress code again. So, I had landed another detention the following night as well.

So now, I was sitting in my two hour long detention copying word for word, the dress code. I swear on my life, it was literally fifty pages long. Trust me I know because I took the time to count the pages before I started writing. Half the things in there were really stupid too. There was one that said,

'Students must not have scuffs on their shoes.'

Then there was this one,

'Students will not have wrinkle lines in their collared shirt.'

Stupid right? Yeah, I knew I was right. But I copied them down like a good girl and when my two hours were up, I was only twenty six pages into the hand guide and McGonagall had told me that I would finish it the next day. So I traipsed up to the Gryffindor Tower and fell asleep before I could talk to anyone.

Australe Leo Black ~ Saturday, September 6th, 1975 ~ Hogwarts, Hogsmead, Scotland

The following day when I got ready, I put on the itchy skirt and the crispy, collared, white dress shirt. I made sure that there were no wrinkle lines, then tied my tie and pulled my sweater over my white shirt. I was already feeling so uncomfortable. But I still slipped my robes and then pulled my shoes on. I decided to still wear my black boots.

When I got down to the common room, Remus was waiting for me. He gave me a small smile, and I shrugged my shoulders, trying to get the shirt to be more comfortable. Remus laughed.

"You look smart." Remus told me.

"I feel generic." I said and he gave me another laugh.

"I don't think you could ever be generic." He told me and we left for breakfast.

I got a lot of puzzled looks about my attire for my friends when we got to the Great Hall. Everyone knew that I didn't follow the dress code a lot of the time. I had never really got caught for it either, now as I came to think of it. The teachers knew that I was a child that got good grades and was a relatively good student. They let me just surpass this rule until yesterday.

After breakfast, when we were walking into Transfiguration, McGonagall came up to me.

"I see you have remembered what you are suppose to wear now. Good job, Miss. Black." When she turned her back I scowled at her.

Later that day, I went back to finish my detention off. I finished the last twenty four pages and the rules were just as stupid as the other days.

'Students must have a brown or black school bag.'

or even better,

'Students must have their shirts tucked in."

'No distracting colours are to be worn.'

By the end of the detention, I had a headache. My mind was so full of rules that I thought I was going to pass out. I was so happy when I finished the two hours.