Chapter One: A Family of Stars

Australe Leo Black ~ Tuesday, August 31st, 1971 ~ 12 Grimmauld Place, London, England

I sat in my lavish room that was decked out in dark green and sliver textured wallpaper. Tarnished gold sconces hung from parallel walls, masking the room in a golden glow. In one corner, an elegant canopy bed, blanketed in an emerald green comforter and silk sheaths meant for curtaining the sleeper from stray light. In the other corner, I sat in a leather tufted armchair, looking at my wand and trunk. A thought had just crossed my mind as a knock came upon my door.   

I got up swiftly from my comfy seat and crossed the room in a matter of seconds. I twisted the knob and my twin brother came toppling in.

"Ow." Sirius' voice came through muffled as he face planted onto my plushly carpeted floor. I let out a laugh as he sat up and rubbed his face. 

"What were you doing?" He asked as he picked himself off the floor and walked over to my bed before plopping down and making himself at home. He leaned back and fell right down onto my pillows.   

"Just thinking." I told him as I copied his actions. I found myself staring up at the star system painted across my ceiling. Mother and Father had charmed it to twinkle and move as the real stars did. Our whole family was named after stars or constellations. I was named Australe Leo and my twin brother, Sirius Orion. We had a younger brother also, and he was named Regulus Arcturus. We were the Blacks. Most Noble and Ancient House, our family came from a long line of pure blooded witches and wizards who, when we turned eleven, went to a prestigious school for magic, Hogwarts.   

Hogwarts was a school where young witches and wizards were taught to control their magic. There were four different houses, where each first year got sorted into. Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. My family had been in the Slytherin house for centuries.

"What are you thinking about?" Sirius asked me, nudging my side with his elbow. I turned to look at him and I saw his stormy grey eyes, lit up with curiosity. My brother and I were like two peas in a pod, we never did anything without one another and somehow we always knew what each other was thinking and feeling.  

"I was just thinking about what's going to happen tomorrow. I know we are expected to be put in Slytherin but what if we aren't? What if the hat chooses Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff or Gryffindor? Our family will disown us! But I can't help but think that I'm not the same as all of them. Regulus, Bellatrix, Narcissa. I don't feel as if I fit in. It doesn't feel right." I confessed to him and he nodded.  

"Trust me Ausie, I'm on the same page. I can't see myself becoming a Slytherin either. Mother and Father have never likes us as much as Regulus. They have always favored him and I wouldn't be surprised if things got just a little worse if we get sorted into a different house. But you know what we can do?" Sirius said to me.

"What?" I asked, doubtful about the answer I was going to recieve.

"We can hope that the Sorting Hat will consider our feelings and put us into the right house for us. And, at Hogwarts, Mother and Father aren't there to watch over our every move. We can make our own decisions, and even pull some pranks!" He exclaimed excitedly. I didn't know my younger twin could be so wise.    

"Well, I can't imagine anything else at the moment. You better get packing my little brother. Our parents won't be any more happy with us than they already are, if you aren't ready tomorrow." I told him while imagining what our beloved mother would do. hopefully not the Cruciatus Curse.

"First of all, I'm not you're 'little brother', I was born like a second after you and second of all, I don't really care what she thinks. All she cares about is keeping our bloodline pure and making sure 'The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black' stays on top of the social stature. Besides, I've been packed for at least a week already." He scoffed. I totally agreed with him. My mother was always making sure our family stayed elite.