Chapter Sixteen: The Last Exam

Australe Leo Black ~ Friday, June 25th, 1976 ~ Hogwarts Castle, Hogsmead, Scotland

Our last OWL was to be taken today. That meant that the year would be finished incredibly soon which I was happy about. The end of the school year also meant that summer had arrived. I couldn't wait for summer vacation to start. It was going to be me and Lily traveling all around London and going to the Brighton pier for the day. We would travel around England and shop for cute little things at one of a kind boutiques. It would be wonderful.

This exam started at one in the afternoon and we only had two hours to do the written test. One thing that was good about the time frame was that we would have the rest of the day to hang out by the lake, sit under our Beech tree and soak up some sun.

"Good luck!" I told my friends when we got into the exam. They had us all around the room, separated by last name. Remus sat pretty close, just a few rows away and James was in the row to the left of me, four seats up. Sirius sat right behind me and Lily, a few seats over. Professor Flitwick was the teacher 'on duty' for this particular test and when he set the timer, we settled in for the two hours.

"Five more minutes!" Professor Flitwick squeaked after over an hour and a half. He walked up and down the isles, past James, who was yawning and rumpling his hair. James glanced at Flitwick then turned to look at Sirius, who evidently was looking at James and gave him a thumbs-up. I glanced around, finished my exam and saw one of the Ravenclaw girls looking at Sirius hopefully. I snorted, I didn't know why everyone thought he was attractive. He was such a twit sometimes. I sat back on my chair's legs, balancing with my feet on the table. I had finished the exam but I wasn't allowed to leave yet. I had to wait out the whole two hours.

"Feet off the desk please, Miss Black." Flitwick said as he passed my table. I took them off just long enough for him to take notice then put them back on, again balancing on the back legs of my chair. I turned to my right to see Remus scratching his chin with his quill.

"Quills down please!" Flitwick spoke, " That means you too Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchments. Accio!" Flitwick raised his wand and a hundred or so papers flew straight at him; the force knocked him right over. I giggled while a few students up at the front went to help him up.

"Thank you, thank you. Very well, everybody, you are free to go." He panted and I stood up, stuffing my exam questions into my purse to never look at again, before slinging my bag over my shoulder and joining the throng of people walking towards the doors. I was joined by James, Sirius, Remus and Peter as I walk towards the entrance leading outside.

"Did you like question ten, Moony?" Sirius asked Remus, trying to act serious but kept failing by putting a grin on his face.

"Loved it." Remus said briskly and shook his head. "Give five signs that identify the werewolf. Excellent question."

"D'you think you managed to get all the signs?" James asked in mocked concern. I laughed.

"Think I did." Remus said in a serious tone. We were now just outside, where the sunlight poured onto our faces, warming my body instantly. "One: he's sitting in my chair. Two: he's wearing my clothes. Three: his name is Remus Lupin."

"Four: he's a very smart person." I continued for him, "I'm just missing the fifth." I said cheekily. Three of the boys laughed and Remus pinched my cheek. Wormtail seemed to be the only one who was actually taking this conversation seriously.

"I got the snout shape, the pupils of the eyes, and the tufted tail. But I couldn't think of what else." Peter said anxiously.

"How thick are you, Wormtail?" James said impatiently, "You run around with a werewolf once a month—"