Chapter Three: House Hunting

Australe Leo Black ~ Wednesday, September 1st, 1971 ~ Hogsmead Station, Hogsmead, Scotland

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" A loud voice called over the vast amount of students talking. James, Sirius and I put our trunks by the side once we had stepped off the train. We then followed the voice to a large man, well over six feet tall.

"C'mon, follow me. Any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!" The large man told the big group of us. We all slipped and stumbled over a steep narrow path. It was very dark around us but I could just make out the silhouettes of massive, tall trees.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," He called over his shoulder, "Jus' round this bend here." The narrow path opened up and revealed a great black lake. On top of a mountain, sat the castle, adorned with many turrets and towers. It was magnificent.

"No more'n four to a boat!" The half giant yelled and gestured to a couple dozen little boats. Sirius, James and I hopped into a boat. Seeing as there was still one space in our boat, I decided to offer it to a girl with long dark hair, standing on the shoreline.

"Do you want to join us? I'm Australe by the way." I asked her as I offered her my hand. She smiled and took it, letting me help her into the boat.

"Mackenzie."

A few minutes later, the fleet started to move and we were soon reaching the castle. As we docked on the opposite shore, I clung to Sirius. I stepped out on the boat, carefully, so I didn't fall into the lake. As we walked up the steps. The giant man knocked on the front door. A stern looking witch opened it and ushered is in.

Australe Leo Black ~ Wednesday, September 1st, 1971 ~ Hogwarts Castle, Hogsmead, Scotland

The old witch introduced herself as Professor McGonagall. She explained to us about the importance of following the rules and respecting our houses. After her speech she led us to a big set of doors. I was now very nervous.

As she pushed the doors open, she gestured for us to follow. We all walked into the room following close behind her where she led us right up to the front of the hall. From both sides I saw the rest of the school watching us. There were five tables all together. One was for the professors and the rest of them were for each of the houses. Gryffindor, in red, Ravenclaw, in blue, Hufflepuff, in yellow, and Slytherin, in green. In the middle of the room sat the hat. In a way, that inanimate object was the most intimidating thing in the room. Even the stares from older students weren't as scary or nerve wracking as the hat was.

"When I call your name, I will place the hat upon your head and it will sort you into a house. When the hat determines a house you will go and join them." She spoke to us. We all nodded and she unrolled a big piece of parchment.

"Abbott, Gregory!"

"Hufflepuff!" The hat declared and the table in canary yellow erupted in cheers.

"Black, Andromeda!" McGonagall called. My cousin, the one I actually liked, walked up to the stool, and sat down. She took a slightly longer time than the first boy, Gregory, but finally the hat announced a house.

"Slytherin!" The table on the very right hand side, clapped. I gave her a smile and turned back to the front. If Andromeda had just been called, that meant that I was next.

"Black, Australe!" McGonagall called my name. Sirius muttered a good luck, squeezed my hand and I walked to the stool, full of jitters.

"Australe Leo Black. What a wonderful mind. Full of prospect and a special gift of knowledge I see." The hat spoke in my head.