Chapter Four: Pride For Gryffindor

Australe Leo Black ~ Thursday, September 2nd, 1971~ Hogwarts Castle, Hogsmead, Scotland

Cold water hit my face and I woke up with a start. I sat straight up in my bed and looked around the room. I saw the little red head with bright green eyes peering down on me. Lily was holding an empty cup in one of her hands.

"Sorry?" She said anxiously. I wiped my eyes with the back of my sleeve.

"Lily Evans! I am going to kill you!" I shouted at her. I wasn't really mad, I mean it did wake me up. But I must have looked terrifying because she dropped the cup that was in her hands and ran out of the room. I picked up my wand and quickly dressed. Still holding my wand, I ran out of the room and saw Lily hiding behind Sirius.

"Sirius, brother, please move away so I can get at Lily." I told him nicely. This was just plain fun now.

"No way! You can't hurt Lily!" He said to me.

"Okay, I can just punch you instead then." I shrugged and raised my hand. He moved out of the way and muttered an apology to Lily. She gasped and ran out of our common room. I followed her, quickly running my hands through my hair, so it wasn't tangled. I saw her run into the Great Hall for breakfast. I ran in and a few people who were closest to me stared. I shrugged them off and went to sit down beside Lily at our table. I hit her lightly on the arm as I took my seat.

"Ow! That hurt." She complained.

"Well, I wouldn't have had to do that if you wouldn't have poured water on me." I said as I took two pancakes and poured some maple syrup on them.

"Hey! I shook you and called your name. You wouldn't wake up so I used that as a last resort." She said as she took a piece of toast and lathered it with jam. She took a bite just as Sirius took a seat beside me. James sat right next to Lily. I could see on his face that he liked her.

"Morning Sirius, James." I say and they both nodded in acknowledgment. A few minutes later a whole parliament of owls flew in delivering post for all of the students. I took notice that our family owl was among them.

"Hey Sirius, look." I elbowed Sirius and pointed towards the familiar owl. It was carrying a bright red envelope. A howler.

"Let's run. You know what that will be right, Ausie?" He advised us. I laughed.

"Let's let them get at it. It can't hurt us, we're here and they are in London. Our mother and father are pure blood maniacs and I quite frankly, I don't give a bloody horse's arse about what they think. Trust me I'm no pure blood maniac." I said as the owl landed in front of us. I took the letter in my hands and opened it.

"Sirius Orion Black and Australe Leo Black! How dare you become affiliated with that nasty place! You two are a disgrace to this family. If you had any ounce of respect left for us, you would go up to Dumbledore and demand a resorting! If not, you will not be welcome home this Christmas or Easter. Oh and congratulations on making Slytherin, Bellatrix, Narcissa and Andromeda. Druella is very proud." With that last sentence of calmness the letter burst into flames. Sirius and I and all our friends sat there stunned. But I was not totally unhappy. I would rather be in Gryffindor than Slytherin.

"Okay then! Lily, do you have any parchment? And ink? I need to write a letter." I asked the girl beside me. She pulled open her book bag and produced the items I needed. I then got to work.

"Dear, Mother and Father. I appreciate your view on my house, but the Sorting Hat's word is final. I would not wish to switch even If I could. I honestly would care less about what you think about us. You may think that becoming a student of Gryffindor is the deed of a blood traitor but even though you are a pure blooded, prejudiced bigot, I certainly am not! Do not expect me to let you make my decisions for me. Tell Regulus my best, sincerely, your disgrace of a Gryffindor Daughter, Australe Leo Black. There. All finished. Do you want to add anything, Sirius?" I asked my brother as I finished writing it all down.