Chapter Two: On The Dream Train

Australe Leo Black ~ Wednesday, September 1st, 1971 ~ 12 Grimmauld Place, London, England

"How could you do this to me? A Slytherin? I thought we were in this together." Sirius yelled. There was anger and hurt in his voice. I looked around confused as to what was happening. I saw that he was wearing robes of blue. The hat had put him in Ravenclaw. I looked down at my own robes, which were green. I had been put in Slytherin.

"I—Sirius. I didn't mean to. I would rather be with you! I didn't get to pick this." I tried to reason with him. But he seemed to get more angry.

"But didn't you? The hat didn't just pick randomly! It looked into your mind and saw that you wanted this! Was everything you said to me a lie?" I took a step back as his temper exploded.

"Australe! Come on! We need to go back with the prefect!" Bellatrix's voice rang out in the hall. I turned to see her and her two sisters striding across the room. I took a glance at my brother, who still looked enraged and very, very hurt. Then my cousins pulled me away. 

I shot up in my bed. My breathing was shortened and I didn't know what to think about that dream. I was still thinking about the way my brother's face showed resentment when the door squeaked open.

"Hey. You were talking in your sleep, are you okay?" Speak of the devil. Sirius came in and snuggled under the sheets with me. His arm slipped around my shoulders.

"Yeah. Just pre-school jitters I guess." I told him. I wasn't so sure I wanted to tell him about my dream yet.

"Did you want to talk to me about it?" He asked. I paused for a second, not sure if I should but in the end, I nodded. I had only one Sirius, one friend, mind as well confined in him about my unkind dream. And so I did.

"You think I would not talk to you if we were put in different houses? Come on, Ausie, who do you think I am?" He sounded shocked. I smiled weakly as I hung onto his arm.

"I don't know. If you were to be put in Gryffindor and I in Slytherin, we would become our houses, and we would always be in rivalry. It would be our nature." I told him with a shrug. Growing up in an all wizarding family showed us a lot about how the world is. Everyone knew that Gryffindor and Slytherin has a massive rivalry and had had one for centuries.

"Well then, we would just have to be the first to break that wouldn't we." He teased and I let out a quiet laugh. I glanced at the clock, it was just about eight thirty in the morning. A good time to get up and make sure I didn't forget anything.

"Hey Sirius? Please dont tell anyone about my dream. You know how our parents look at these kinds of problems." I asked him. If anyone found out that I had a dream about going into Slytherin I would for sure be disowned. It was just how my family dealt with unwanted things.

After he promised, he left to get ready for our busy day ahead. I pulled myself out of the cosy covers and put on a pair of trousers and a plain, green, knit long sleeve. I made sure that I had a warm coat handy because it was always slightly cold in September. I brushed through the tangles of my dark hair and let it just fall where ever it wanted. I wasn't really fussed. I then pulled on some socks and walked down to the kitchen to get a bite to eat.

"Ah, Australe, you're awake. We are leaving soon. Do you have everything packed?" My mother asked me as I reached the kitchen. I nodded before I grabbed some porridge and an apple off the counter. Today was the big day. I would leave this house, and have my own freedom to do as I pleased. After a few minutes, Regulus and Sirius joined us at the table.