Chapter Fifteen: Jobs Are Difficult

Australe Leo Black ~ Sunday, June 6th, 1976 ~ Hogwarts Castle, Hogsmead, Scotland

After Christmas time, the teachers really started to pick up on our lessons and started to give us loads and loads of homework. It was unbelievable and I don't know how I got through it all. With Quidditch practice and all the other things I was doing, I had only minimal time to do all the homework. But somehow I always found the time.

We also won the Quidditch House Cup! It was Slytherin versus Gryffindor in the last match and Darcy, our Seeker, managed to catch the snitch, right from under my dear brother, Regulus' nose! It was hilarious. We had a huge party after, that lead to McGonagall yelling at us at three o'clock in the morning.

It was now June. I had a great year and Remus and I were doing great. We loved each other. I mean, yeah, I was fifteen and he was sixteen and we weren't even adults yet. We'd only been dating a few months, but we loved each other and that's all that mattered.

Next week was the start of our OWL exams. Everywhere you went students were selling powdered dragon claw, and Baruffio's Brain Elixir. It was literally a Black Market at lunch times. I had to drag my brother and James away from the Baruffio's Elixir and I had to get Remus and Lily to confiscate it. They were really mad at me, but if something had happened to them and they had died or gotten hurt, from that stupid poison, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself, knowing that I could have done something to prevent it. And they we're going to forgive me. I had read their minds, even though they said not to. Professor Dumbledore would understand.

Today was our career advice meetings with our head of house. A week prior to today, Professor McGonagall had given each of us a package full of pamphlets each relating to a different job. To be honest, I really didn't know what I wanted to be. I loved animals, I loved Quidditch, I loved Remus, and I wanted to do something great for the world. I also had a gift, something that was extremely dangerous and extremely valuable, maybe in some professions. Thinking of all the things I loved and wanted to do, though, didn't really put me on a straight pathway for my future. Maybe I would work at the Ministry, or maybe I would be a international Quidditch player. Who knew, right?

"This is killing me, I can't think of anything I want to be! Is it just me or can you guys think of one thing that will happen in your future?" James groaned and flipped over onto his back, from where he was lying on the couch in the common room. I glanced up from the pamphlet I had been reading to see James take a pillow from the couch and smash it on his face. I smiled slightly, leaning against Remus, who was sitting on the floor next to me. He kissed the top of my head and reached for another pamphlet.

"Didn't you want to be a Quidditch player?" Peter asked from his position on one of the comfy chairs adjacent to the fireplace.

"Yeah, but my mum doesn't want me to be one. She thinks it's too dangerous and she wants me to work with dad and take on the family business." James said. James' dad, Fleamont Potter, was the creator of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion, which had quadrupled the Potter's family wealth. James' mum, Euphemia Potter, was a very kind woman who only wanted the best for her only son and child.

"Well you could be a Quidditch player for a couple years straight out of school then chose to go work at your dad's company or work somewhere else." I suggested, "But you're right, I can't think of anything I want to be either. Wait! Maybe I can be one of those muggles who like pretends to do magic and reads your mind! I don't think there's anything else that I could do with this stupid thing in my mind."

"Are you kidding me, Aus?" Sirius asked and I shrugged. "You could literally be anything you want with that power and because you have the marks of it, and you can't think of a single thing other than some muggle magician?" Sirius sounded flabbergasted. I was only joking mate, calm down.