«8»

Natsu Dragneel had but the most irrational fears.

He wasn't even a bit scared of burglars, serial killers, he also didn't believe in ghost.

However, he was truly scared of the dark.

Wait, did I say scared? Let me rephrase that. I mean he was petrified of the dark, and darkness in general.

Also including he despised sleeping alone. He would be at least a bit happy if he could just leave the light on but at the time his dad would notice and probably beat him for it.

So mostly every night, Natsu would stay awake. Trudging through the dark, that's what Natsu was scared of the most. Those sleepless... panicked nights.

The night after him and Lucy exchanged numbers, Natsu lied in bed. Awake as usual of course, trying to think of anything but the Japanese horror movie he saw a few days ago that he forgot the name of.

After few seconds of silence his phone beeped, Natsu smiled to see he got a text message from the contact name that read 'Lucy Heartfilia'

Lucy Heartfilia:
Hey there Natsu!

To Lucy Heartfilia:
Hey Lucy.

Lucy Heartfilia:
I'm kinda glad to know your awake at this time... I kinda thought I would be annoying you.

To Lucy Heartfilia:
Nah not at all. I'm happy you texted me... I can't sleep.

Lucy Heartfilia:
Aw why is that?

To Lucy Heartfilia:
Well it's really dark.

~

Lucy didn't respond for at least 10 minutes and of course Natsu started to worry. Maybe Lucy was making fun of him or laughing at him for his fear. However, all that changed when his phone starting ringing.

Lucy Heartfilia is calling

"Hey." He heard her soothing and calm voice say through the phone as he felt a smile arise on his lips.

"Hi." Natsu said with a low voice, trying not to make a ruckus.

"Have you seen the stars lately?" Lucy said randomly to him as he furrowed his eyebrows together.

"Um. No. Why?" He responded with a questioning tone.

"They're really bright today." She said with a small giggle at the end of her sentence. Natsu just couldn't hold his grin

"Are you outside or something?!" He asked with worry, he didn't want Lucy to be alone in the darkness of the night. Including it was really late.

"I'm just on my roof." She said causally as his worried-ness went away and he took a deep breath. Contrarily, there was still a weird thing about that.

"Um Lucy... It's nearly 2 AM." He responded back as he heard her chuckle.

"And let me just inform you that during this time is when the stars are the prettiest... When everything is silent. When almost everyone around us is sleeping." She whispered

"But you and I are awake." Natsu smirked between the phone.

"Yeah, but that's the exact beauty of it. Me, you, and the stars." She said as a few seconds later Natsu stayed quiet but so did Lucy.

"Hm. I kinda like that." Natsu mumbled ever so quietly hoping that Lucy didn't hear him. On the other hand he hope she did.

"I do too." She responded as she smiled and Natsu felt his heart flutter for the first time, actually glad she did hear him.

"So Natsu,"

"Yes Lucy?" He laughed as he mentally slapped himself for sounding like a 12 year old giggling child. Cringing after that embarrassing moment.

"Natsu Natsu Natsu;" Lucy whined.

"Lucy Lucy Lucy?"

"The darkness is really tragic isn't it?" She asked with a sigh

"Actually yeah... it is." Natsu sighed as well.

"But! There's nothing to worry about. Me and the stars will keep the darkness away." She said as he felt the smile on her face even if he couldn't see her.

He really enjoyed the time he was spending wit her but he started to feel like a nuisance.

"I'm sorry I must be wasting your time-" but Lucy interrupted before he could even finish his sentence.

"No you're not Natsu. I'll talk to you all night if I have to. I'll talk to you until you fall asleep... okay? I promise." She whispered the last 2 words as Natsu felt himself blush. The funny thing is that Lucy was blushing as well.

He stayed silent for a moment and decided to respond after.

"Thank you." He said without stuttering or questioning if he should thank her or not because now he was used to it.

"We're friends silly, you don't need to thank me. Also I like talking to you." She said truthfully.

This time Natsu's face was flushed with a vibrant red.

It truly didn't seem that dark anymore. Lucy's weird jokes, quirky puns, and random facts of the celestial zodiacs; Just her amazingness seemed to light up the dark that Natsu was in before.

At exactly around 3 AM Lucy heard a little snore through the phone as Natsu had fallen asleep.

She smiled gently, clinked 'End call', carefully got down to the balcony that was connected to her room, walked to her bed, and went to sleep herself.