"Take my hand"

I set BB-8 down on the ground in a huff. It's muddy outside and I feel kind of bad that she'll get dirty. All the snow has melted already. I look up at the sky, squinting. The sun is right above us. It's a clear day. If it stays this way until night time I should have no problems flying right out of here. It's much warmer out than the previous night. I take  in a deep breath.

The crackling sound of a tree falling catches my attention and I turn around. Kylo is using his light saber on the poor trees. He slices a heavy chunk off of a large tree, then before it lands he catches it with the Force, throwing it into another tree. The crunch on impact makes me think of a human's shattering bones. A shiver runs through me. I don't think I could do that to anyone, use the Force to hurt them.

I watch Kylo practice. He's really good with the light saber, and he's also very good on his feet. His cape swings behind him as he jumps up, onto a strong branch. Can he jump higher by using the force? I realize how little I know about all this.

He sees me watching him and I quickly turn away. I hear him jump down to the ground and walk towards me but I refuse to look over.

"Are you going to try out your light saber? Or just watch me?"

My cheeks flare up. "I was just studying your moves."

"Then let's see if you've learned anything." He twirls his light saber in his hand to get a better grasp on it. "You seem physically fit enough," he says, walking around me as though assessing me. "And we don't have time to build on your physical strength anyway." His breathing is still heavy from showing off with his light saber moments ago. I pretend to be interested in a rock on the ground, kicking at it with my boot.

"Is that your way of giving me a complement?" I ask, just to pester him.

He doesn't answer but stops walking around, standing right in front of me. I look up. In a split second he's got his light saber at my throat. I cross my arms in front of me in an automatic self-defense move, and push against his arm that's holding the light saber to my throat, holding him off so he can't burn my shoulder or my cheek. So he wants to play dirty does he?

I drop and do a back somersault, making him fall forward, then I roll out of the way as he stumbles into the mud. By the time he gets up I've got my light saber in my hand, ready.

"I could have struck you down while you were still getting up," I say, breathing hard now.

"Why didn't you?" Kylo wipes some mud from his cheek.

I frown. A twinge of fear stirs in my belly but I ignore it.

"Because we're only training...right? " I say, studying his expression. What should I prepare myself for? A death match? He's right though. If we train as though we really will hurt one another then we'll learn better.

He swings his light saber and I jump back. I need to get my footing so I can properly fend off his attacks. I run to a nearby clearing that seems a better place to face him in a fight then turn around, catching Kylo off guard. I swing my light saber down and he raises his just in time to stop me from slicing his body in half.

We spar for a moment but he's physically stronger than me, so I use my climbing skills to hop up into a nearby tree and jump down in an aerial attack. Kylo is quite agile, considering his height, but I'm more agile and I can get around him and past him and duck beneath him. He grunts, swinging his light saber at me with more anger now, but missing each time. His body is lean and strong and I get caught off guard for a second watching him.

"What are you doing?" he asks, stopping inches before striking me in the head.

"Nothing!" I say, attacking him again, but with more severity this time. I hate him for being able to distract me like that. I catch a glimpse of a smile on his face as I attack. Now he's the one who seems distracted, he fends off my attacks but isn't really fighting back.

"What are you doing?" I breathe heavily, lowering my sword. 

He reaches out his hand to me, palm up, as though he expects me to take it. I furrow my brows at him. Is this a trick? His light saber is still lit so I assume it must be a lesson in gullibility. I swing my light saber around from behind me and slice down at his arm. He moves it just in time, but not fast enough to avoid a cut on his forearm. He cries out and I back up, confused, but still in a ready stance just in case.

"How are we going to fight together, if we can't trust each other?" he says.

I lower my light saber but don't put it away. "What do you mean? We're not fighting together, we're fighting against each other."

"Yes, but we stopped, and I gave you my hand."

Now I'm more confused. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do, be on my guard for an unexpected attack, or..." Or what? Or trust him? He lifts his arm arm, palm open towards me and I know what he's about to do. I block his attempt at reading my mind and he blinks in surprise, stepping back.

"You're stronger today."
"Yes, I am. I've rested." And I've also got some important thoughts to protect, like my escape tonight. I have to keep him out of my thoughts. "Like you said, we can't waste our strength 'Force reading' each other's minds. So we should just... communicate."

He nods. Does he also have something to hide in his mind? He lowers his light saber, returning it to his belt. I do the same.

We stand there a moment, still breathing heavy. Then he offers me his hand again.

"Aren't you going to do something about that scar?" I say, avoiding his invitation for me to take his hand. It reminds me too much of Finn, how he felt he had to protect me, or help me run, help me escape, by taking my hand. He was a gentleman in his own way, and he chose to leave the First Order. I admire that about him.

"Please," Kylo says. "Take my hand."

"Why?" I take a step back.

"Are you always this distrusting?" He lowers his hand.

"Yes, always."

He nods then reaches out takes my hand in his. I fight the urge to pull away. I'm not in the mood to engage in a silly game of cat and mouse. Kylo's large hand envelops mine and he watches my expression as he holds it.

"What are you doing?" I ask, my stomach fluttering as he runs his thumb slowly over the back of my hand.
"There's no power... between us, just by touching."

I shrug, but it's not true. There's definitely something powerful flowing between us and it makes me very nervous.