Master Dukath

"Always in Motion is the Future"
-Yoda

"Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor"
-Obi-Wan

--------------

"He was a troubled boy when he came to me," Master Dukath says in a dry voice. We are sitting around the games table, two containers of water on it. BB-8 remains in the corner of the room, afraid of Dukath for some reason, but I know she's still listening. I lean forward, resting my elbows on my knees.

"His emotions were not in control," Dukath continues, looking at me. "And neither are yours."

I straighten. Finn glances over at me, then back at Dukath.

The elderly man breathes in slowly. "I am dying and should already be dead," he says with effort. "But I held on to life to bring you here. I've had a vision. You... young Padawan, turning to the Dark Side."

I shake my head, but can't speak. Tears roll down my face and I can't stop them.

"The future is always in motion," Dukath continues. "Therefore you do not need to fear what I tell you, only, make the decisions that will prevent this from happening. The sword of the Knights of Ren can destroy Snoke, yes, but it is not the only thing that can. You must not take it back to him.

"You cannot save Kylo Ren, he is too far deep within his doubt. He does not believe in his own way out. Only he can free himself, but I have seen his heart. He will not let go of that which holds him captive, that which tears him apart.

"You must not go to him, you must not seek him out. Do not confront Snoke for he knows your weaknesses, he knows how you feel about Kylo Ren, and he will use this to draw you in. This will surely be your end.

"His power lies only in deception, his strength only in that which is your own inner weakness within."

He pauses. The air vents of the Millennium Falcon hum as we sit silently.

"You and Ben have fused your Force to one another, this is why Snoke now has you on the brink of your own destruction. To your own emotions do not give in."

My chest aches and my eyes burn. Master Dukath sinks down in his seat.

"Master? Please..." I say in a choked voice. "Tell me, why can't two Force sensitive persons become attached? Kylo's parents-"

"One of them was sensitive to the Force, the other was not. You can in fact have attachments with others, but with your own kind, it is forbidden. For the child of such a union would go mad with the Force, a Force that he or she would not be able to control. Dangerous. A forbidden child.

"Save the Galaxy from the First Order young Rey. But not with the sword. Your emotions are too strong right now, turn back your course. With your friends and with patience, against Snoke you will win, but first you must let go... of Kylo Ren."

Master Dukath bows his head and breathes his last breath.

* * *

"Rey?"

Finn knocks on the washroom door lightly. I've been in here a while but I can't face him yet. I can't even talk to BB-8.

"Are you alright?" he asks.

I don't answer and I can hear him sigh on the other side of the door.

"Rey?" he says again, then stops. It is silent for a moment. Then he says, "I think you should go save Kylo Ren."

I freeze. "What?"

"I think you should follow your heart." Finn's voice is muffled behind the door. I pull it open and he looks at me. His expression changes to that of pity. I must look like such a mess, after all that crying.

"But you heard what Dukath said," I say.

"Yes I did. And he might be right about some of it. But I also believe that the future is not written and that you can write it yourself."

I don't know how to respond but Finn's words spark hope in my heart.

"Listen," he sighs. "I don't know what happened between you and Kylo Ren or anything, but it's clear to me that you love him."

I nod, the tears flowing again.

"And the Master Jedi... guy, said you fused your Force together." Finn keeps his eyes down. "So to me, it seems if you let him die, you'll sort of die too... in your heart and spirit."

I throw my arms around Finn, startling him. Then he returns the hug and I hear BB-8 beeping. She wants to help too.

"I can talk to Kylo too and tell him not to doubt, like Master Dukath said," she beeps. "We can tell him to believe that he can become free."

I sniffle, letting go of Finn.

"Okay, BB-8," I say. "Thank you." I set my hand on her little head.

Suddenly an alarm sounds, shaking me out of my emotional slump. "What's that?"

"The intruder alarm. Someone's on board."