Kylo's Story, Part 13 - Family

"Weren't you paying attention?" Finn says to me with a mouthful of food. We're at the dining hall sitting at one of the long tables. Rey is beside me and Finn is across from us. "Basically," he says, "we destroy the Meth Star then lure Snoke to the catacombs somehow."

"How?" I ask.

Finn shrugs.

"How about," Rey says, raising an eyebrow. "We tell him that the red light saber is in the catacombs. He'll want to get to it."

Finn dismisses her idea with a wave of his hand. "That's not a good idea-"

I glare at him and he stops talking.

"You're right Finn," Rey nods. "He'll just send an army to come get it and won't come himself. Plus the Resistance Base is here."

"Does Snoke still..." Finn says to me, waving his hand around his ear. "You know... control your mind?"

"No," I say.

Rey leans against my arm and hugs it, her chest pressing into my bicep. I get more than a few glances from around the table, which is filled with guys. I pretend not to notice but can't help the small grin on my face.

BB-8 beeps from the floor on my other side. "You could tell Snoke that he's the only one that can get the sword out, because it's his." I rest my hand on her head. She's a smart droid. No one else is listening to her. I gently pull my arm out from Rey's grasp and go get another chair from the next table then set it beside me. I lift BB-8 onto it. Now she can see us. Her head moves back and forth looking around the table. "Thank you," she beeps.

"Hey BB-8, give me five!" Finn says, reaching out his hand. She opens one of her compartments and extends a tiny multi-utility tool with a small screw driver, bottle opener, scissors and pliers. Rey laughs.

"Pardon the interruption." A Resistance officer stops at our table. "Miss," he nods to Rey. "The visitor pods will be landing soon and the guests will gather in the Amphitheater. If you're expecting someone-"

"Visitor pods?" Finn asks.

The officer looks to me then Rey. "Yes, well," he clears his throat. "The General brings over family members to the base before everyone goes out on an important mission."

Finn frowns.

"Do they come to help us with the battle?" BB-8 beeps.

"No," I tell her. "Thank you," I nod to the officer and he leaves.

Rey sets down her half eaten sandwich. "Excuse me," she says softly, pushing out her chair and getting up. She runs off. Finn stands up quickly too as though he wants to run after her, but he stops and looks at me first.

"Go ahead," I sigh, and he runs off too.

The food sits heavy in my stomach. I've been avoiding having a talk with my mom, but it's time I did. I get up and BB-8 beeps.

"Wait!" 

I lift her off the seat and set her on the marble floor.

"You go find Finn and Rey," I tell her. "And make sure he doesn't kiss her."

BB-8 gives me a questioning beep which I ignore. 

"Go ahead."

Her ball rolls in one place on the marble floor for a second then catches some traction and she whisks away. I'll have to talk to someone about getting her some traction tape or rubber detailing for her body to help her get around better.