The Dark Side - Part 6

I look down below, from my hiding spot in the ceiling where the metal tiles open into a ventilation system. BB-8 looks tiny from up here. She leans her head back to look up at me.

"Ready?" I say to her.

"Yes," she beeps in reply, giving me her lighter thumbs up. She rolls into the open panel with the exposed wires and a moment later an alarm sounds. I close my eyes and take a slow breath, to calm my racing heart. I continue the breathing as we wait. I can do this. I have to try. 

Before long the door below opens and Kylo strides in. Hux follows right after him. They stop in front of the interrogation chair.

"She's gone," Kylo says, in his monotone mask-voice.

Hux turns to the two Stormtroopers guarding the door from the outside. "You weak minded fools!" he yells at them.

"She didn't leave the room Sir," one of them says.

"No, of course she didn't," Hux says calmly. "She tricked you! Now go find her," he yells. They jump, then quickly rush out. Hux walks out after them. 

The door slides closed. BB-8 is controlling it and I told her to try and lock Kylo in. He didn't even try to leave the room though. 

He removes his mask and sets it down on the interrogation chair. 

"I know you're here, Rey."

My heart pounds in my chest. Kylo pulls out his light saber and begins to walk around the room, looking around.

"You can't escape, you're only beginning to understand your powers," he says, taking slow steps, his cape moving behind him. My hand slips and I almost lose my balance.

Kylo paces around and I wait, sweat forming on my forehead.

"I can feel you, I know you're in here."

He's almost directly below me, just a little further...

I jump, landing on Kylo's back. He falls forward and we tumble to the floor. His light saber flies from his hand and slides across the floor. I jump for it but Kylo pulls me back. I kick him away and he Force pushes me hard. I fly forward but stop myself before hitting the wall and do a quick spin in the air, catching Kylo in a Force hold just as he reaches his light saber.

"BB-8!" I yell. She comes rolling out fast and slides the light saber over to me. I release Kylo and quickly pick it up.

"What are you doing?" he says, locking onto me. I do the same to him. "Let me go, Rey."

"Let me go," I say.

The muffled sounds of blasters hitting the outside of the door catch my attention. Hux has returned with his Stormtroopers. They're trying to blast through the door. It won't hold for long. Kylo's sword lights up in my hand.

"Stop!" Kylo yells. I jump, dropping the light saber. It lands between us. Our eyes lock.

"Don't use it," Kylo says.

 I look down. I can't get to it with Kylo's force pushing me back and he can't either. We circle around the light saber.

"Hux is going to betray you," I tell him, looking up again. "He's going to kill you."

"Don't you think I know his plans?" Kylo sneers.

"You said we'd destroy Snoke together, and rule the Galaxy."

I can't break free of Kylo and he can't break free of me. The banging on the other side of the door gets louder. I close my eyes and focus. He'll either release me so I can't read his mind, like he usually does, then I can grab the light saber, or he'll keep locked onto me and I'll find out what's really going on in his head. I start to enter his thoughts. His hold on me wavers for a second and I prepare to lunge for the light saber, but his hold stays.

You promised, that you wouldn't read my mind

I start to back off, remembering our agreement. But then I feel something unfamiliar inside of him, it turns my stomach and seeps into my mind like black oozing oil, 

Join us Rey and we'll rule together 

I recognize the slow forming words, it's Snoke 

Use the sword, it will make you strong and combine our power

"No," I struggle to pull out of Kylo's thoughts but I can't. Kylo's eyes are dark as they stare back at me. They don't look like him at all. Sweat drips down my temple.

I have him, the voice continues, and now I will have you too

Suddenly the doors blast open and the spell breaks. Debris from the blast fly at us and a large piece of metal knocks Kylo down. Stormtroopers come piling in, shooting. I deflect the shots one at a time as fast as I can, sending them back from where they came. The blasts hit the Stormtroopers in the chest and they fly backwards. But there are too many to stop. One flies over my shoulder nearly hitting my ear. 

Then the Stormtroopers begin to fall, no longer shooting at me but getting hit from behind instead, until they're all down.

"Finn?" I gasp. Finn steps over the pile of Stormtroopers on the ground. I see Poe behind him and others too, all dressed in the Resistance uniforms.

"Rey!" Finn smiles at me, a look of relief on his face.