Just Try

That morning everyone got up to get ready, and clean the house for the visit. Jesse was running around trying to make everything look perfect, he wanted his dad to like the Temple. Magnus was sitting on the couch playing with super TNT, much to everyone's dismay. Ellegaard was picking up the scraps of her invention and putting them away. Gabriel was sharpening his sword casually. Soren was drawing picture of endermen dancing, everyone thought he was going a bit crazy. Ivor was reading a book on the couch. Axel was doing what he usually did.

"Okay, I'm gonna go pick up your dad from the station, Jesse." Olivia said coming out of her room in a plaid red flannel over a white tank top and faded blue jeans, her hair thrown back in a ponytail. She wasn't wearing her green beanie, so you could see her bangs that, without her hat holding them, went into her face.
"Aww, you look adorable!" Soren said gushing over her.
"Thanks." Olivia said smiling.

With that said, she left for the station. Jesse was still trying to clean the invisible mess.
"Um, Jesse, sit down kid, stop worrying." Magnus said, kinda unnerved by the sight.
"Oh..sorry..." Jesse said blushing.
"Nervous?" Ellegaard asked smirking.
"I want him to make him happy with me..." Jesse said looking down.
"Jesse, he will be happy, he's always happy." Petra said like it was obvious.
"I know..." Jesse said blushing.
"It'll be fine." Petra said patting him on the back. "So, your dad is staying for two days right?"
"Yeah." Jesse answered shortly.
"I'll go get his room ready." She said walking away. Jesse sat down and waited for his dad along with everyone else.
"Um, Jesse, can I ask you a question?" Ellegaard asked reluctantly.
"Yeah, sure." Jesse said shrugging.
"Um...does your dad...really...not look at you?" Ellegaard asked looking like she regretted it. Jesse didn't even look upset by the question though, he just looked at her and answered.
"Yeah, I look too much like my mom." Jesse said calmly.
"Oh...sorry." She apologized.
"Its fine." Jesse said smiling.

Everyone was silent until Olivia walked in. Following her was a black haired, bright blue eyed man. He had as well kept beard that didn't travel past his chin. The man wore light brown faded dress pants with a white dress shirt and black shoes. He looked very neat, but absolutely nothing like Jesse.
"Hi dad." Jesse said standing up, and walking over. True to the story, Jesse's father did not look up to great him.
"Hello Jesse, how are you?" He asked looking everywhere except at him.
"I'm good, and you?" Jesse asked, sadness hidden in his eyes.
"I'm doing well." He answered, looking past him, blocking out his face.

They talked for awhile about what was going on in each others lives, both smiling but not exchanging any glances. After they finished Jesse had work to get done in town and took his leave, asking Olivia to introduce him to everyone. Almost immediately after Jesse left, the man finally looked up from the floor.
"Guys this is Rick!" Olivia said smiling, "Rick, this is the old Order of the Stone."
"Hello, I already know all your names. Except yours." He said nodding towards Ivor.
"My name is Ivor." He answered politely, he knew full well that no one knows him.
"Hello Ivor." Rick said shaking his hand. Everyone shook hands and said hello's before settling down. Well, that is everyone except Soren, who was still drawing endermen.
"Is, ah, Soren okay? He look as a little...mental." Rick whispered to Olivia.
"Well, he has spent 5 years studying endermen and not in contact with humans, so no." Olivia said not caring to be quiet about it. Soren heard and got defensive.
"Endermen are amazing creatures, they didnt abandon me like all of them did!" Soren shouted sadly.
"Shut it, crazy." Olivia said coldly. At that Soren began to cry in the corner.
"Olivia." Rick said, disappointment clear in his voice.
"What?" Olivia asked surprised.
"Why would you say that to him, it's an emotional support system he's created for himself. If you insult it, it will deteriorate and he will brake, forever." He told her sadly.
"...sorry..." Olivia said.
Magnus went over to Soren and comforted him. He sent a glare Olivia's way.
Soren stopped crying after awhile and went back to drawing endermen. The group started talking about random stuff for the rest if the day.
Rick wasn't like Jesse though. He was kind to everyone, regardless of background, Jesse held a small grudge. Rick was very philosophical in his sayings, Jesse was simple.
Jesse had Brown hair and green eyes. You could hardly even tell they were related.
"Um, not to be rude or anything," Magnus started, "but you guys look nothing alike."
"Yes, I did think you two would at least have a little bit of the same features, but no nothing." Gabriel said, everyone was confused.
"Jesse is like his mother..." Rick said sadness filling his voice as he looked to the floor.
"Mr. Wilson?" Olivia said trying to get his attention.
"Yes Olivia?" He answered looking up.
"Um, you should, like, maybe..." Olivia mumbled unsure of how to say what she was thinking. Noticing the looks she got from everyone she composed herself and spoke.
"You should try to look at Jesse." Olivia said rushing an explanation. "It would make him so happy-"
"Olivia-"
"-and he really just wants to be noticed by you-"
"Olivia-" She didn't hear Rick and kept going.
"-and I know it makes you sad but, he really wants to know you except him-" She kept rambling on until,
"OLIVIA!" Rick shouted smiling, and even laughing a bit.
Olivia stopped in her tracks and looked at him blushing.
"I plan on it kiddo." Rick said smiling.
"You do!" Olivia said smiling.
"Yeah....i'm trying to build up the courage." He explained.
"Jesse's gonna freak if you do, you know that right?" She said smiling still.
"Oh Notch." Rick said laughing. Everyone was listening.
"When are you gonna try?" Olivia asked curiously.
"Before I leave...I...I don't want to think of her when I look at him..." Rick said
"You just have to think of little kid Jesse." Axel said shrugging. They all decided that it was getting very late, and when Jesse got home they all got ready for bed. They were unsure of keeping Soren in Magnus's room because of how he was acting.
"What should we do with him though?" Ellegaard asked, looking over her shoulder at Soren who was drawing endermen again and singing about it.
"Hmm, I'm a psychiatrist, I could start appointments with him. I'll take him back with me when I leave and bring him back next time I visit." Rick suggested looking around, not at Jesse though.
"Yeah, that would be awesome dad!" Jesse said happily.
"Are you sure that would work?" Gabriel asked intrigued.
"Yes, it should, I have done this with many people before and I've been able to get them all back to normal." Rick said reassuringly. They all agreed and made Soren stay in Ricks room.

*That morning*

When everyone woke up, they were greeted with the sight of Soren and Rick sitting at a table talking quietly about what was going to happen. Soren looked like he was going to cry, and Rick looked sympathetic. They stayed quiet and let them finish up before saying good morning to them. Soren wouldn't talk though, he was just trembling in the corner.
"Hi dad." Jesse said calmly. Just then, Rick turned on his heels and looked Jesse straight in the eyes. Jesse was absolutely frozen on the spot, so was everyone else. Rick smiled and walked up to Jesse.
"Hi Jesse." He said quietly, still looking him in the eyes.
Jesse was so overwhelmed that he started shaking. Rick noticed and pulled Jesse into a hug.
"I'm so sorry Jesse," he said, "I didn't give you what you craved most, and I am so sorry." Jesse didn't know what to do. Everyone watched the emotional scene, hearts twisting up inside them. They stayed like that for awhile until Jesse calmed down.
"I love you more than you will ever know." Rick said looking into his eyes.
"I love you too." Jesse said smiling.

After awhile everything calmed down a bit. Rick continued to look at Jesse the entire day, every glance making Jesse freeze. Everyone was very happy and talkative, except for Soren who hadn't said a word to anybody.
"Is Soren okay?" Magnus asked, trying and failing to hide the concern in his voice.
"Yes, he's just very sad that you all want him to leave, it's crashing down on him." Rick explained carefully.
"I didn't want him to leave!" Magnus said sadly. He got up and went over to Soren to talk to him.
"He will be okay, I'll help him get better." Rick said reassuringly. Everyone nodded in agreement, except for Magnus and Soren.

Much to everyone's dismay, the end of the day came and it was time to say goodbye. Jesse was extremely reluctant to say goodbye, he wanted his dad to stay, but he knew it wasn't an option. His father was needed in the special care unit in the town he lived in. Jesse hugged his father goodbye, and said goodbye to Soren as well. Just when they were about to leave Rick took a flat, three inch thick, foot long box from his pack and handed it to Jesse, kissed his forehead and left.

"What is it Jesse?" Ellegaard asked. "There's a note!"
"Let me read it Jesse, before you open the box." Olivia said.
Jesse handed her the letter, and it read:

"Dear Jesse,

I know I wasn't there for you when you needed it the most, and I'm so sorry. I should have given you the attention you deserved. It wasn't your fault she died, and I realize that now. Your mother was an amazing woman, and  You are exactly like her Jesse. I feel terrible for never letting you know what she looked like, so I'm giving you the last picture I ever had of her. I hope you can forgive me for being a terrible father, you deserved better.

Love, dad."

Everyone was quiet. They looked at Jesse who had started crying silently during the reading. He slowly opened the box, and took out a picture. Jesse stared at the picture, and then started to laugh while tears streamed down his face, his laughs turned into sobs. Olivia ran over and pulled Jesse into a hug. His body was shaking uncontrollably, wracked with sobs. Petra walked over and also hugged Jesse, who looked so fragile that he could break at any moment. Jesse managed to calm down a bit, still crying but okay.
He held up the picture; a woman with emerald green eyes, pale skin, long dark brown hair, and a beautifully white smile. She was almost completely identical to Jesse. Everyone stared in wonder, she was beautiful.
Jesse gave a weak smile, filled with so much emotion it looked like he could drown in it.
Everyone comforted Jesse, who was cradling the picture to his chest crying. The picture was hung in the living room.
"Will you be okay Jesse?" Ivor asked concerned.
"Yeah, I think I will.
All was calm at that very moment in time, everything was right.

(Author's note: the song seemed appropriate for the chapter. The song is a true story, just so all of you know. Sorry for emotions.)