I Am Not a Clone

I am the original! I am the best!

I care not what those journals say! They are wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

I am the original!

... Aren't I?

-

I fingered the Pokeballs attached around my waist. My Pokémon. My partners. My faithful companions. My best friends. Through thick and thin, we'd gone through the perils of Johto and into Kanto.

And now, here I was. Standing at the entrance to the old mansion.

I had been mesmerized by the beauty of a Ninetales I had battled against on my way here. I wanted one. I had to have one. The kind trainer told me that that Vulpix could be found in the old Cinnabar mansion, which was just about destroyed. Dangerous. But I was getting that Vulpix whether this stupid mansion wanted me to or not.

I double checked my party, making sure everyone was set and ready to go. My Feraligatr, Beedrill, Noctowl, Umbreon, and Rapidash all seemed ready.

But there was the question of whether or not he was ready or not...

I bit my lip, having been told by a friend of the journals that were scattered around the mansion. He had pointed out the connections to my dearest boy, and I, of course, denied every single thing he pointed out. I had to. My Pokémon were practically my children, and what parent would not try to protect their child?

But even I couldn't ignore everything. I decided to just keep him in his Pokeball for this trip, even if his Psychic powers were good against the Poison Pokémon that practically ruled the place. I took the ball and shoved it down deep in my backpack.

I made sure I had plenty of Potions, Antidotes, and Burn Heals. After finding satisfaction in my stores, I slung the bag across my back and called out my Rapidash. I kindly asked her if she would light up the dark mansion for me, and the Pokémon whinnied and flared brighter. I smiled and thanked her, guessing that this was a 'yes'.

-

I'm so tired...

Where are we? I can't tell. It's dark and stuffy. It's hot, too. Too hot. I don't like it.

Why can't I see?

This feeling... Why do I have it? Why do I suddenly feel so ice cold?

Wh-where are we?

-

I felt the Pokeball rattle in my backpack. Considering my bag was so loaded with stuff, I was surprised I could feel it. My boy must be distressed. I frowned. I knew he didn't like being in dark places, and yet I still did this to him.

He'll be upset, but not as much as he would if he was out. The lesser of the two evils, I suppose. And I simply couldn't leave him in the Storage System.

He'd live.

I slid my Pokedex out of my pocket, looking at the picture of the Vulpix on the screen. Studying it. I scanned over its info. I'd be ready to face this thing once I found it. I even had the brand new Ultra Balls in my pocket, ready to toss at the fox.

"Vulll!"

My gaze snapped up from the screen, my eyes wide. My prize had come to me, it seemed! Who was I to complain about that?

The Vulpix spotted me. With pinprick eyes, it took off down the decrepit hall. Grinning, I readied Feraligatr's Pokeball and took off after it, my feet pounding on the moldy carpet.