Screaming

The screams...

Somebody make them stop.

They all say I'm crazy... that I'm hallucinating...

But there's no mistaking what I saw.

And the screams still won't stop.

___________________________________________________________

It all started that day when I found Pokémon Emerald cartridge at a pawn shop. I was ecstatic, as I didn't have Emerald yet, my first game being Pearl. I didn't wonder for an instant why it had ended up here, which was strange, considering that my Fire Red game didn't even save right. I should have been more careful...

After getting home, I sat down to play the game. But just before the Game Freak logo faded, the game froze, and none of the buttons worked. Suddenly, I was reminded of the Lost Silver incident, and wondered if I had found a similar game. A shiver ran through me, and the idea to turn it off crossed my mind, but it was if I was glued to the game. Even if I had my doubts about this, some part of me wanted to figure out what was going on.

After about a minute of the frozen logo and looped notes, the title animation continued as what I know now to be normal, but when it came to the start screen, there was no Rayquaza; instead, there was a sprite of a screaming face, pale white and slightly disturbing. The title of the game was "Pokémon Scream White." Again, I thought of turning it off, but I couldn't bring myself to turn back now. I pressed start, and it brought me to the classic, "Load Game, New Game" screen. I selected the "Load Game" option, only to find that the screen went black, and made several, glitch-like screeching sounds. After about a minute or two of this, I reset the game, and went through the entire process again, making sure to delete the current save file. At least I knew what to expect this time.

This time I selected "New Game," and it brought me to Professor Birch's, "welcome to the world of Pokémon" speech. After he was finished, I was brought to the moving truck, and the game went on as normal. But there was one part that didn't seem like it belonged in his speech; at the very end, he had said, "Beware of the—"

I had no clue what that was supposed to mean, but it sent a chill through my spine, especially because of the way it cut off. Despite how unsettled I was, I continued playing the game over the course of the next few days, each time shivering as I saw the screaming face on the start screen. I kept an eye out for whatever Professor Birch had wanted me to beware of, but the game seemed to be normal.

As I played the game, I noticed that there was a man in the Pokémon Center of Sootopolis who seemed too dark to be in a Pokémon game. He wore a black cloak that covered most of his body, and a large hat which covered his face, other than two, blood-red dots I assumed were his eyes. I was immediately reminded of the professor's warning, and so, I naturally went up to the man, and talked to him; first, making sure that my parents weren't home. They might take the game away if they saw what the man said. Assuming he said anything notable, at least.

"You shouldn't be talking to strangers, now should you, little one? I wouldn't be talking to me again if I were you," he said. Then a soft, chilling laugh emanated from the speakers, and I grinned. Here came the good part.

Of course, I talked to him again, and this time he said, "I thought I told you not to talk to me again. Or am I mistaken? Maybe you should reconsider my words. I wouldn't want you to end up like they did." The same chilling laugh came, but this time it was even darker and demonic.

It took some effort to press the button again. I had read about cursed games, and I was afraid that this might be one of them. What impact would it have on me? There was only one way to find out.