Personality Molding

We've all played a Pokémon game at least once in our life. We've all seen how a yellow creature, looking like some sort of overgrown mouse with a thunderbolt as a tail, journeyed alongside a ten year old boy.

Everyone has a favourite Pokémon, whether its the mainstream Pikachu, the creature mentioned above, or the incredibly powerful sea-serpent named Gyarados. We all have one of those so called 'Pokémon' as a favourite.

You may prefer Pokémon of legends, Pokémon that can withstand any sort of attack or Pokémon that can beat their opponent in a blink of an eye. But Pokémon isn't all about fighting, you have contests too, where you show off your Pokémon's grace and beauty.

Some may even prefer to just play with some of the cuter Pokémon like Hoppip. But all good comes to an end. The once cute and cuddly companions would suddenly shine in a white light before changing appearance. A very cute Exeggcute would transform into the larger, goofier Exeggutor.

The cute Bulbasaur would transform into the great Venusaur. Gone is the cuddliness.

Maybe you didn't want him to be cuddly? Maybe Venusaur is your favourite Pokémon. Maybe you desperately tried to turn your Bulbasaur into a Venusaur.

These are all severe transformations; sweet Pokémon can turn into giant fighting machines, just because you love them or for some other stupid reason. It seems evolution truly is in our nature... Yet, when they evolve, it is not only their appearance that changes. Their personality, behaviour and way of thinking is suddenly altered to fit the needs of their new look. Your friendly neighborhood Charmander suddenly turns into an extremely hot-headed and stubborn Charmeleon. You can't control it, you can no longer play or cuddle with it, after all those days, weeks, months, or years! You stare upon your Pokémon, not even knowing if it is your playmate anymore. No, Charmander is no longer there; You have lost a friend.

Most Pokémon undergo such transformations, but not all of them grow stubborn and hot-headed like your Charmeleon. You may have a Poliwhirl, a fierce loyal friend that always stands by your side. Yet when it evolves, it may turn into a Politoed. A Politoed is one of the happiest Pokémon out there, it is a smaller, green and happy version of your previous Poliwhirl.

Depending on your view on your Pokémon, one could truly doubt the meaning of the word 'evolution.' This is a case, of forced evolution, a Poliwhirl will only evolve if it is traded while holding a King's Rock. If the Pokémon doesn't want to evolve, it will simply toss away the item, and your Poliwhirl will stay as it is.

But for some, it isn't as simple. Namely Evolution-inducing stones. We all know the Pokémon-ish embodiment of man's best friend, the dog, named Growlithe. Growlithe is a Pokémon that can only be evolved by contact with a Fire Stone. Upon evolving, it turns into a majestic and prideful Arcanine. You are oh so proud, how your small silly Growlithe turned into one of the most awesome Pokémon in existence. But have we forgotten how powerful these beings are?

Shooting flames from their mouths, hypnotising others into a deep sleep, or simply slicing them up with a simple chop or a blade-like limb. Pokémon are gruesome. Would you dare think that in any of those Pokémon games, not a single murder, accident or other sad act was committed by those beings we call our friends? The mighty Ursaring is known for terrorizing people in the forest, what possibly restrains it from rampaging through the nearest town? We all underestimate our Pokémon, make them battle, make them goof off, or just make them colourful with all of our daily life things. Have you ever considered your Pokémon's opinion?

They are living creatures, and you mold them into what you want them to be. They could kill you before you know it.

That cute Growlithe you just evolved into an Arcanine? Did it want to evolve? If it did, good for you, if it didn't, it could burn you alive where you're standing.