Tick Tick Tick

When I was young, I liked Pokemon, as most kids did back in the day. Despite being fairly young to the series (maybe about 6 or so), I played Pokemon Red and I loved it. Unfortunately, as I got into double digits, I went through that horrible phase where I thought that everything I loved when I was younger was 'childish'. Of course, this included Pokémon, so I missed out on Pokemon Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and even FireRed and LeafGreen.

Though early on in High School, I managed to get my hands on Pokemon Diamond and I loved Pokemon all over again. I didn't like the game itself (although I far from hated it); the whole concept and gameplay of it reminded me of why I loved the series in the first place. I went and bought everything I could. I managed to find a FireRed and an Emerald in a local GameTraders, and I bought HeartGold when it came out. Hell, despite having the remake, I even went back and played the original Red again. I'm even thinking of buying Yellow, as I never got a chance to play that.

Because I had both Red and FireRed, I felt that I needed both Gold and HeartGold. But Gold was hard to find. Whereas in my GameTraders, who frequently stocked Yellow and the GBA games, they didn't stock any from 2nd Gen. This irked me, so I went online to get a copy. Sure enough I found one going for (no, not a dollar, although that would have been nice) $20. It was the cheapest one there, so I bought it.

It took about three weeks, but finally it arrived. I opened the package up and took the golden-coloured game out and place it in my limited-edition Pokemon GameBoy Colour (well, it technically wasn't mine, but my brother's and I share all our game stuff as if it's everybody's, and they didn't want it when they moved out, so...). The game screen starts up like normal, but there was no save before me. I was a little disappointed, as I would have liked to see how far the previous owner had gotten and what team they had. Nonetheless, I started a new game.

I name my character Gold (generic, I know, but hey; I'm a girl – I couldn't name him after me), and my rival Silver, of course. The game played perfectly. That is, until I got to Violet City.

Nothing was wrong with the city itself. Everything was fine, there was no creepy music and I beat the monks at the Sprout Tower no problem. Nothing was wrong. But there was something wrong with Falkner. Don't get me wrong: his sprite wasn't decaying or anything, he didn't say anything weird before the battle, and none of his Pokemon were harmed, either.

It was after the battle which was weird.

Instead of talking to me, I immediately get the badge. After the 'Badge get' music finished and the "GOLD got the ZEPHYRBADGE!" textbox disappeared, he simply said "......". I pressed A, and he went on.

"...tick...

...tick...

...tick..."

I then got the TM, and was able to leave. That was it. I tried talking to him again, but he just says the same thing. I talk to his one trainer in the gym to see if he still says the same thing. Surprisingly, he said something different from when I last spoke to him.

"He is waiting."

Who is waiting? And for what? That's a bit creepy, but I save and continue with the game.

After that, I'm a little surprised to see that the game hasn't changed at all, It all plays out the way it's meant to. Maybe that was a glitch? I almost forgot about it until I come up to the next Gym Leader, Bugsy. The same thing happened: he said what he was meant to before the battle, but after, the badge was immediately gotten and all he said was:

"......

...tick...

...tick...

...tick..."