SMILE

Shiny Pokémon are a true treasure that every Pokémon fanatic wants. Some say they are just simply different colored Pokémon, I say differently. Shiny Pokémon are gems in the Pokémon world, so rare and valuable. They are different from the rest; they are special, they are better.

I have never had the honor of catching, nor seeing such a rare Pokémon. I have played every single generation of Pokémon games, not a single glance. I swear, Nintendo must have a grudge against me or something.

I've always wanted a shiny Luxray, it's been a dream of mine since I first started playing Diamond. Luxray is already amazing, but the shiny ones are ten times better! I have a Luxray, and his name is Smile. I know it sounds silly, but when I first caught him as a Shinx, he was smiling. Still, never mind that, I would never encounter a shiny anyhow, but there is one way.

I carefully inserted my Action Replay into my DS and started it up. After all the codes loaded, I searched and found the one I needed. It was titled, "Shiny Pokemon". I smiled and selected it, then quickly started Diamond.

I mashed the A button until I got to the menu screen, which read:

Ariel

Twin Leaf Town

Badges: 8

Pokedex: 238

Time: 36:66

I clicked continue and found my sprite in Twin Leaf town, which was weird because I don't remember saving there. Nevertheless, I shrugged it off and opened up the side menu. I took a deep breath and clicked "Pokemon". I almost squealed in delight, my party Pokémon all glimmered in different colors. They all were shinies! I clicked on each Pokémon, admiring their new and improved forms, and then I came to him. His beautiful yellow face greeted me, and this time I actually squealed. Smile, my Luxray, stood proudly in his new yellow skin. I couldn't believe it, I really couldn't. My dream had finally come true- that ugly blue color was washed away and replaced with that beautiful golden yellow.

"You're so much better now." I whispered to the screen. I exited out of the Smile's info and the menu. I was back to my sprite now, I thought that I might try out my new shiny Pokémon. I walked north until I hit a patch of grass, a battle started instantly. I found that strange because that has never happened to me before. The battle scene started, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I saw the sparkles and heard the tiny cry. A shiny female Shinx had appeared.

I was absolutely shocked. There was no way this was actually happening, the cheat I enabled shouldn't have effect on wild Pokémon. I must have sat there for 5 minutes staring in awe before I snapped out of it, I HAD to catch her. The Shinx was only level 5, and the rest of my Pokémon were level 100, so there was no way I was going to take a chance and battle. I went to my bag and selected an ultra ball, there was a good chance I could catch it with just one. The screen went back to the battle, but the ultra ball didn't fly out as it normally did. Nothing had happened. I figured it must just be the Action Replay messing with my game, so I went back and selected another ultra ball. When it went back to the battle, the normal upbeat music had stopped. It was silent.

I sat there, angry. Right there in front of me was a legitimate shiny Shinx, and I can't even make an attempt to catch it! I wasn't going to give up, no matter what. After about ten minutes of selecting Ultra Balls, I heard Smile's roar.

Smile used thunder! It's not very effective... The wild Shinx faintedÿõòǞ

I screamed, I literally screamed. My chance to catch a real shiny was thrown out the window. I started crying out of anger, this was probably my one and only chance.