Truth Hurts

It all started about two weeks ago. I was shopping with my friends when we went into the local GAME store. I walked over the shelf where the new Pokémon games were. Pokémon: Black and White Versions, £30 each.

"Damnit. I need a tenner," I searched through my purse. I only had £20. I decided to look at the preowned game section. After about ten minutes most of my friends had bought their copies of Portal 2 and Nintendogs 3D and were standing next to me, helping me search through the shelves. It was another five minutes before we found anything.

"Got it," I grinned and held up a DS box. Pokémon: Black Version. Preowned. Only £10.

"Only a tenner?" My friend stared at the price tag.

"It clearly says it there. Ten pounds." I took it over the checkout and bought it. It was definitely ten pounds.

When our trip was over and I was at home, I quickly slotted Pokémon Black into my DS lite. The game started up, and I selected new game. I got through the Juniper lecture, selecting the female player character. I couldn't think of anything to call her, so I just typed in Hilda. I clicked enter and Juniper checked if my name was Black. I went back and typed in Hilda again, but it kept saying Black. In the end I gave in and confirmed my name was Black. I chose Snivy as my starter, and soon I had all eight badges. The elite four were pretty easy. I took care of the fighting and ghost type members with my Victini. My Serperior handled the others.

But then it got to the final showdown with N.

And that was when everything changed.

Most of my Pokémon were level 65 or higher by this point, due to my excessive training. Catching Reshiram and taking down N should be no trouble. How wrong I was...

The cutscene where Reshiram appears before you was triggered. The light stone rose into the air and the curled up figure of Reshiram emerged. When it opened its eyes, they were blood red. So were its claws and rings. I stopped. That wasn't normal. It couldn't have been the shiny version. The shiny version had gold rings... I sighed and entered the battle scene. I selected my master ball.

"Reshiram doesn't want to be caught," I knew I wouldn't get any EXP for defeating it, and it would be in the Dragonspiral Tower if I ran away. I ran away from it.

"Would you like to give a nickname to Reshiram?"

I stopped. That was impossible. I had run away. I was too shocked to think of any good nicknames. I just wrote "Truth." I added it to my party. I closed the screen and was greeted by a cutscene. One of those 3D ones. Some kind of easter egg? It couldn't have been made by anyone other than the people who did the other clips...

Truth turned around and lashed out at Black with its claw. She stumbled back and fell down into what used to be the pool around the edge of the hall. I just starred at the screen. Nothing made any sense. Truth's white fur was specked with blood as it turned back to face N and Zekrom. It charged at Zekrom, who had hardly any time to react. In seconds Truth had its claw through Zekrom's chest. With its red claws dripping with blood, Truth grinned as Zekrom's heart crumbled into black dust. Yanking its claw from Zekrom's corpse, Truth tossed the body aside, letting it fall into the pit. It landed a few metres away from Black, who lay there in a pool of blood. Truth turned back, ignoring N, and jumped down, landing in between Black and Zekrom's corpse.

Truth raised a claw and thrust it into Zekrom's side. It begin to smear the blood on the wall, then smashed it's palm into the wall, leaving its clawprint in blood on the wall. Truth turned to look at Black, who was leaning against the wall, her hand over her wounds, barely able to stand. She began making her way over to Truth. She placed her hand over Truth's print. They both turned and read the words Truth had written...