Eight

When I awoke, I felt refreshed. I looked around and there was no sign of Pierce. I freaked out momentarily, but then I realized, maybe it was best for him to leave.

Being near him, put my life and his in danger. I sighed as I sat up and stretched my arms out and yawned.

I got out of the bed and I saw a change of clothes sitting neatly folded on top of the small sofa by the door.

It was a simple outfit, black tee, blue jeans, white socks and black and white running shoes.

I took a quick shower and then changed into my new clothes. I pinned my hair up and then grabbed my old clothes on the way out.

I trashed my old clothes in a nearby dumpster and I looked up at the sky.

It was clear and the sun was shining brightly. I squinted as I looked around at my surroundings. The beach was straight ahead.

I exhaled loudly as I began to walk towards the beach. A part of me wanted to be glad Pierce was gone because so much has happened to me, but the other part of me slightly yearned for him.

I slowly walked onto the sand and into the direction towards the place Pierce took me yesterday.

I still can't believe he's a merman. I thought those things only existed in the imagination of kids and writers. Even though I saw him, it's just still a lot to process for me.

When I got to the area where Pierce took me, I saw him, standing there with his arms crossed. He was staring out into the distance.

I approached him and took a deep breath. "You miss being in the water, don't you?" I asked him as I followed his gaze towards the ocean.

"Sometimes, but now I understand what my future holds for me on land," he answered as he turned to look at me with a smile. "I'm glad you're okay," he added as he gently placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Why wouldn't I be? I'm fine, thanks to you," I reminded him and he chuckled as he nodded. "That's correct, but you could've died, which would've been thanks to me," he said and I shook my head.

"Well I didn't die." There was a long silence after that, he returned to staring out at the ocean and I sadly smiled at him.

"So...what now?" I asked him and he sighed as he looked down before looking at me. "For now, you run from him," he told me.

"Me? What about you?" I asked and he faced me. "I'm going to face him. It's best if you go, I don't want you getting hurt again," he explained and I shook my head vigorously.

"No. No way. I'm going with you," I said to him. "Maybelle, you can't. I can't risk losing you again," he said back.

"I can't risk losing you either. I'll go with you. We can have each other's backs," I stated, trying to convince him.

"Maybelle...I said no," he said with a sigh as he rubbed his face with his hands.

"Pierce, the only time I'll feel safe is when I'm with you," I suddenly said and he looked at me confused. I was pretty shocked myself to say that. But I stuck with the moment.

"You've always had my back. What if I get captured again and you're not there? What if I'm in danger? I won't have you to run to. This is my chance to finally prove I'm strong," I told him sternly as I kept my feet planted on the sand.

He turned away and I grabbed his forearm. "There's no where else I would go and I'm not going back home. This is my fate and I'm going to accept it," I said.

"Fine," he answered slowly and I shouted in excitement. I suddenly hugged him, which startled him, but he hugged me back.

"You know, you talk a lot," he said as we pulled away. "Well get used to it, because you're stuck with me now," I told him with a grin and he chuckled as he ruffled my hair.

-------------

Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Its been so long - once again - that I've updated a chapter. But I'm going to TRY to update more often.

I want to at least complete this story because its been left incomplete for a very long time xD

DONT FORGET TO:
VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW
SHARE

Thank you all so much! Love you!!!<3