Thirty-Two

I knew the sound of Pierce's mother's voice. It was soothing and gentle.

You fight. You fight for you, for Pierce and for the child you have lost.

I slowly stood to my feet and I looked around. She was right. Now's not the time to be weak. Killing my baby was a warning, the war has to be happening soon.

I placed a hand on my stomach and I closed my eyes. "Rest in peace...I hope one day I'll see you again.." I whispered before opening my eyes back up.

Pierce has to be gathering up the army. The war is beginning, child. Merman versus human and merman versus merman. It will be a bloody fight. Be prepared, and don't settle for weakness.

I nodded as I listened to Pierce's mother speak and then I heard Queen Jheni. Protect Pierce, little do you know, you posses greater power.

My eyes widened at her statement. I was confused. ""G-Greater power? That's impossible. I'm only human. T-this..this makes no sense," I said as I shook my head.

Your soul burns with intense power. We can all sense it. And using powers of turning into a mermaid, you can end this war once and for all. Queen Jheni explained and I exhaled nervously. We know it is a lot to take in. But please, do what you can. End this war and protect Pierce. Fight for what you love the most, Pierce's mother spoke and I just nodded slowly.

"O-Okay... I'll try. But I still don't know what any of this means."

Suddenly, people came out from the ocean. I was startled as I watched them, clothed in armor and holding weapons in their hands, they filed onto the sand in lines. There were a lot of them, and soon, the beach was filled with them.

There had to be at least a couple hundred of them. "Lady Maybelle," they all said in unison and then bowed to me. I blushed in embarrassment and I couldn't find any words to say to them. So I ended up just bowing back.

Then, Pierce came out and he was also in armor. "Lord Pierce." They all bowed to him and he just gave them a nod. I ran up to him and I placed a hand on his chestpiece, feeling the cold metal touch my skin.

"I don't want you to fight..." I said, concerned as I looked up at him. He sighed as he brought his hand up to my face and cupped my cheek. "Neither do I, but there are some things that can't be resolved unless there is war," he answered and I nodded slowly.

"I know you don't like it...but I have to fight too. I don't know when, but when the time comes, I'll know," I told him and he stared at me for a few long seconds before nodding in response.

"Understood... And of course I don't like it, last thing I need is for you to get hurt."

"I'm going to be fine. Trust me. It should be you worrying about you, instead of me," I said as I moved my hand from his chest to his shoulder. He looked at me in confusion and I just shook my head.

"I'll explain it to you later."

I looked to the other side of the beach and from a distance I could see people, small figures. They're pretty far, but they could get here in another hour or so. Pretty quickly. And it made my heart race.

I was getting anxious, and more nervous. My palms were really sweaty, and my heart could not stop beating and there were knots in my stomach. My mouth was dry and everything was fuzzy. I was getting uncomfortable, about this war. I didn't like this feeling one bit.

"Everyone be ready! Be on the lookout for ambush troops in any direction!" Pierce yelled out to the army and they all shouted "Yes" in response.

Pierce grabbed my hand. I looked over at him and he gave me a reassuring smile. "I love you," he said and I smiled back. My whole body was shaking and I could feel my hand too, but he squeezed a little bit tighter to stop my hand from shaking.

"I love you too."

-----------------------

Shorter chapter. But the war is finally happening!

I hope you enjoyed it.

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT and FOLLOW me for more! :)

~Bethany<3