Twenty-Three

"Why did the necklace do that to me?" I asked him after explaining to him about what happened. He sighed as he looked down at the dark wood floor.

"I'm...I'm not so sure. My mother gave it to me on her deathbed. She told me the powers within it did not work for her and that it may work for me, only if I 'gave it to the woman who truly loved me'. I did not know what she meant at that time," he explained as his gaze drifted up towards the ceiling.

"Powers....hmm... Maybe she meant the spiritual powers it contains that link with the very souls of two people in love. But what doesn't make sense is that, I'm human and it had the power to transform me. So does that mean our connection is strong enough to change a human like me?" I was surprised by the sudden knowledge I gained.

I found myself pacing back and forth while Pierce sat there on the edge of the bed, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Uhh..." He had no words.

"Your mother must've known the powers it contained. It was passed on from generation to generation, possibly through daughters. I'm guessing you were the only child, and your mother must've seen the fate your future held."

"Okay, calm down. You're jumping way too far ahead of yourself. And technically, yes, I was the only child. You see....Evan is an illegitimate child. He was born from another woman my father had an affair with. My father favored him," Pierce said, his tone mixed with anger and sadness.

"I'm the true Prince by blood, but there was a higher chance of Evan taking over. But I don't think so anymore, now that my father has gone crazy, Evan is just his puppet," he added as he stood to his feet.

"I know you don't want to hear it, but fate has revealed the many things you'll have to do. And one of them is fighting your own family," I said to him in a worried tone.

"I know... While he builds his army, I have to build mine, which shouldn't be too hard," he stated as he opened the door.

"Well, you already have one soldier," I told him with a smile.

"No, I don't want you in this battle."

I frowned. "I'm already in this battle, whether you want me to or not. Your father and Evan want to fight me. We don't have a choice."

"Yes, we do. You're not going to partake in this war. If I lose you, they'll win, because they only have their eyes on you."

He walked out and I followed quickly behind. "Where are you going?" I asked.

"To go get an army. Stay here, and do not leave, whatsoever," he commanded and I simply nodded my head. I watched him leave.

"I'm fighting either way. If I get taken, they'll win. If you die, they'll win. We have to stand together..." I said out loud, knowing that he didn't hear me. But that's what I wanted to tell him.

As I turned to walk back to the bedroom, I heard the sound of heels clicking. I knew who it was.

"Poor, poor Maybelle," the sound of her voice was more annoying than when I was a human. Could this be the true sound of evil? Like nails on a chalkboard.

"How cruel and selfish you are, having your dying boyfriend fight in battle while you stay behind and hide," she said with a small chuckle.

"He won't die!"

"Oh, but he will," she responded with a smirk. "You see, the curse I have put on him, cannot be undone with the simple magic of a merman. So wishing for it, won't reverse it. And now that he has a war to fight, the stress will only weaken him even further."

She walked closer to me. I clenched my fists tightly as I looked up at her. "The key to ending all of this is.... You," she said as her sharp black nail pressed against my chest, where the orb was glowing brightly.

She suddenly disappeared and I let out a large breath. From the pocket of my new jeans, I pulled out the small black seashell she gave to me.

I dropped it on the ground and I slammed my foot down on it. When I lifted my foot, the seashell was still in perfect condition. I jumped up and down on it in anger, but it didn't break, not even crack.

A bright light appeared and I gasped as it engulfed me and the entire house.

-----------------------

Hope you enjoyed it :)

Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow.

Thank you all for reading, voting and commenting. Love you all!❤