Chapter 15

The maze ended when time started. When Stephanie had used up all her power time started again. More men armed with the guns to kill came for us. We knew we had found an exit when we reached a big door that had an "exit" sign on it. Ok that works. We pushed the door open. Sirens and alarms blared to life and red lights flashes as sprinted into the outside woods.

We ran for what seemed like days. My legs ached and my eye throbbed. I don't think your eye is supposed to throb, is it? Luke suggested we rest for awhile. Becky and Stephanie sat down almost immediately. I slumped down next to tree and leaned against it. All of a sudden I had a head splitting pain. It was like getting hit with a ton of bricks over and over again right on my head. At first I bit my lip to contain my screams. But soon it wasn't enough and I cried out in agony. Aspen, Luke, and Lani jumped to their feet while the new comers sent looks of worry. I felt my eyes roll back into my head and then it went black.

Everything was dark. Then I realized that my eyes were closed. I cautiously opened my eyes. I was still in the same place as I was before. Only now it was dark. As far as I could tell everyone was awake. I shifted around and grunted in the effort. My friends came to my side.

"Are you okay?" They all asked at the same time. I smiled a little.

"I think so." I answer. Then I thought about it again. Was I really okay my friends were just killed and for all I know I might be dying. For right now I guess I was okay.

"What happened?" Lani asks.

"I don't know." I answer honestly. They dull ache in my left eye had subsided. I looked around. Even though it was pitch black everything seemed brighter. Not as bright as day but as of someone had turned on a very dim light. Up in the trees was an owl perched on a far away branch. I squinted and could make out the little details which shouldn't have been possible because of the distance and dark. What the hell was going on?

" You guys should get some rest." I say to my sleep deprive friends. The reluctantly nod and settle down with their backs to tree trunks. I stayed awake however. The quietness allowed me to listened to the crickets chirping and owls hooting. Under different circumstances I would want to come back to this forest. Like to go camping and not running away from people who want to kill us. The ground was mostly soft dirt with patches of lush green grass and leaves that littered the ground. Tall, sturdy tree trunks stretched to the sky. The leaves up too let in rays of moon light.

As I sat in the dark of night my eye lids grew tired and like the rest I was fast asleep.
.....
After a hard and long week of making our way through the he forest and back to the other students that has stayed behind. We were shocked to see the outline of a large building. While we were gone the remaining students had begun to build another school.

Everyone quickly accepted Becky and Steph. It was as if we had known them for years. While the pain of losing my other friends still burned it was comforting knowing I still had old and new friends around.

It had been about a month and the rebels made no effort to seek is out. We continued to work on the new school now the building had walls to go with it. Everything was put together by the powers of the students. Aspen helped to mold metal beams together with his fire, Luke worked on plumbing, Becky and Steph help Aspen and Luke. Lani was right at home as she gave orders a the younger students. She commanded them as if she were an army general.
"Put those materials here" "Walk Faster" "Where's my lunch?" 
My eye still bothers me. I can see about 20 times better but I didn't want it. I didn't want anything the rebels had to offer after what they did. I hadn't told anyone about it because no one needed to worry about me.

All was going well for another month or so. We finally got a roof on. It was all good ,at night we would sit around the fire pit we a built. We sat with our friends and laughed. Things were just starting to get back to normal until this happened.

Its was a winter night. It had been extra cold the past few weeks. Everyone had huddled together with their friends using their own body warmth and thin make shift blankets to keep warm. I slept with Aspen, Luke, Steph, Becky and Lani at my sides. I had fallen asleep quickly that night. I remember I few hours later the empty feeling like something was missing, like someone was missing. I got up and the cold air numbed my checks. I looked around me to see everyone else fast asleep. I liked to my friends. Steph was curled up next to Becky and Lani used her arms as her pillow while soft snores came out of her mouth. I smiled at them until I realized that Aspen and Luke were gone.
....
So yeh that's the end of the chapter. Haha cliff hanger. Hope you enjoyed that chapter!