15.Nothing Left To Say

Maybe it was because he would never come out of his room.

Maybe it was because you could only get her to talk once a day.

Everyone in the house knew that the two sad people, needed each other. Needed each other desperately.

Michael knew that he needed Miranda.

The one person nobody could get to see it, was Miranda.

Maybe she did see it. Maybe she knew that she needed Michael to feel complete again, but she wouldn't admit it.

One day, Michael and Miranda were left home alone.

Everyone else wanted to go see a movie and get some dinner but Michael wouldn't eat, and Miranda wouldn't talk.

So the pair was left home alone.

Nobody thought that they would interact, but they were mistaken.

It was pouring rain and the house was cold and quiet.

Miranda was sitting on the couch wrapped in a red blanket, reading.

Michael crept out of his room, concealed in a baggy sweatshirt and black sweatpants. He walked down the stairs and stopped in his tracks when he eyed the girl sitting on the couch. She looked up at him, and somehow went paler then she already was.

"Hi." He said, not moving from his place on the stairs. But she didn't answer him. She continued to stare up at him. He looked down, almost embarrassed and walked the rest of the way down the stairs. He shuffled over to where she sat and he plopped down on the sofa across from her. She hadn't taken her eyes off of him once.

"What are you reading."

She just held up the cover of the book.

"Looking For Alaska." he reads off the title, and she lets it fall back onto her lap.

"Why won't you talk. You never talk." He whispers, and looks away from her blank face.

"Because there's nothing left to say now." Her hoarse voice empties from her throat.

She stands up holding the blanket loosely around her shoulders, she puts the book on the table and walks away up the stairs, shutting her door behind her. 

She leaves him in silence on the couch in the cold with the rain pattering against the window.

"Maybe the rain makes sad people feel better, because then they don't have to cry alone." She whispers to the pillow on her bed as the warmest thing in the house, a single tear, inched down her cheek.