prologue

"I know there's something more to you two." Louis says squinting at me accusingly.

The two of us in our usual seats at the back of Tom's Cafe.

"And what would that be exactly?".

"like—" he stops, clearly taking a moment to try and conjure up support for his argument. "—you two cannot keep your hands off of one another. When you're in a room, you two have to be seated next to each other and when you do you're always touching in some form or way, like how he fiddles with your fingers, or how; when he leans his head on your shoulder you play with his hair."

"We've been best friends for as long as long as I can remember. It's our dynamic."

" 'it's our dynamic' bullshît Harold, bullshît. You know it, and I know it."

I roll my eyes, looking down at my tea, which has gone slightly cold, I stir it around with my index finger.

"You know—" Louis starts, "—if it were up to me, I'd say you two were already truly, madly and deeply in love and just to blind to see it. Your curls blinding you and Niall's hair dye seeping into his brain making him completely oblivious." Louis says, wagging a sass-full finger my way.

"Well it's a good thing it isn't up to you isn't it? We're just friends, that's it."