eleven

AN: Closer.

I woke up, not in my own bed back to back with Louis. I didn't move at first, I just stared at The Fray and Daughtry posters on the wall opposite to me. I was just thinking over all the things that's happened over the past few days, few weeks. This whole Louis and I situation. It's not that I was having doubts about it per se, cause in all honesty, Louis' has been better than I thought he'd be. Louis before we started dating could be rude, and ill mannered and quite mouthy. But Louis after we started dating became almost perfect, in the sense that he'd never let the sass go for anything and yesterday was fun. But the one thing I can't let go of, is how unnatural it all still is for me. Normally when you kiss someone you feel at least something, sadly to say I have yet to feel like that or anything close to that whenever Louis and I kissed. The same thing should apply about how you act around your 'significant other' and when I'm around Louis, I seem— I seem a bit kilter a lot of the time and unsure about the extent of how I can and can't act around him.

Shouldn't you always be comfortable around the person you're dating?

Was I beginning to doubt this?

Was I having second thoughts?

I get up, quietly sliding out of the bed and Louis shifts a little. I grab my pants and go to the bathroom to change out of the shorts that Louis had let me borrow. When I get back in the room to grab my jacket, I find Louis still sleep. When I get my things and head to leave, he speaks up.

"Leaving so soon?"

"Um yeah I promised my mom a day together."

"Do you want me to take you?" He asks sleepily.

"No, no. It's ok I could use the walk."

"Ok then. Kiss?" He asks.

I smile, I know it probably looked awry but Louis likely couldn't tell cause he still half asleep.

I crouch down next to the bed, and give him a peck on the lips. He smiles at me, mumbling a small 'goodbye' and 'take the cake with you, give some to your mom, or Niall' then turns over and I then take my leave. I felt a little bad, OK very bad, but I couldn't blatantly say 'haha oh yeah Louis, I'm leaving because I'm second guessing our relationship'

I grab the cake, because my mom most likely really is home and she loves strawberry. She can eat the cake, that was made suppressed guilt.

-

When I got home, I left the cake on the counter, and it was still pretty early. Judging by the car outside my mom is home, so it's likely she's still sleep, I head upstairs into my room and I find Niall their, sitting on my bed, comfortable under my covers and watching tv.

"Hey." He says.

"... Hi?" I respond, "what are you doing here?"

He sits up, leaning against the headboard. He huffs, "I broke it off with Liam." He bites at his lower lip.

I raise my eyebrows in concern, "why, what happened?"  I strip off my jacket and go to sit on the bed next to him. He leans his head against my shoulder.

"After Liam had dropped me off, he kissed me and I— I didn't feel it and I know most would tell me it's probably because we'd only being going for a day and some. But things like that— that kinda thing is something you should feel instantly, y'know?"

I nodded, gulping. I had a pit feeling bubbling, adding to my increasing guilt of doubting mine and Louis' relationship.

"Ho— How did he take it?" I asked, adjusting my position so that I was sitting up straighter.

"He took it better than I thought he would. I expected him to at least be mad, seeing as he put himself out there for me, and I practically strung him along, only to shut him say the next day."

"Ni, you didn't 'string him along'."

"Well you might as well say I did. Cause before he asked me, I hadn't even looked at him in that way before. I accepted knowing full well I didn't feel for him the way he did for me."

"It's better that you told him sooner, than you did later."

He sighs and I continue speaking.

"If you had shut him down on movie night, it just would have had this awkward 'fog' lingering the whole time?"

"And that's better than the awkward air that's gonna be lingering around us now?"

"Sadly but yeah, now that the two of you aren't around each other, it gives time for the wounds to heal. You two will be back to your old dynamic in no time. Which leads me to another question, how did you tell him? You know, how'd you break It off?"

"Um well after we left the alley, he took me home and he walked me up to my porch. We kind of just stood there, me avoiding eye contact and him just looking at me. Making me feel worse and worse for not being completely honest with him."

I cringed.

"I know and that's not even the worst part." He said after he saw the face I made. "When he went to kiss me, I blurted 'I think we should just be friends' and ran in the house."

"Niall James Horan. You're a horrible person."

"Tell me something I don't know." He whines, and drops down to hide his face under the cover.

"And that means, you should probably steer clear of Liam on Monday or on second thought you might not even have to. He'll probably do it for you." 

"Christ and I have to say sorry for taking you away from your own date and all."

"Don't apologise, I'd do it again."

He peeks over the cover.

"You're the best, you know that?"

I shrug, playing coy, "I've been told that a few times."

"Don't make me that back."

"Ok ok."

AN: What's this? Double update? I know the Narries are rejoicing now that there's one less 'obstacle' in the way. It's shorter in relation to the last update but still I hope you like it.