Her Savior

They both stayed away for three days drying her out before Klaus returned. “Are you ready to let us help you now love?”

“What’s the matter Klaus don’t like looking in the mirror; what’s the difference between me now and you all the time? You feel hurt or betrayed and you kill innocents mercilessly; isn’t it a tad bit hypocritical that you’re trying to stop me from doing exactly what you do?” she said as he roughly pushed her against the wall. “I’m saving you from the hurt that follows what you’re doing Caroline… I’ve long learned to numb myself to the pain that follows taking a life and I don’t want that for you love. The guilt will be worse than whatever caused you to flip the switch in the first place” he snapped pressing them closer together. Caroline fought her emotions as they tried to surface, the smell and feel of him mixed with his words were driving her insane. Klaus could tell she was fighting to keep them off so he pushed further. "It isn’t in your nature to be emotionless love; that’s why it’s so hard for you to keep them off. I know you already knew this, everyone knows this but I've never said it out loud... I'm in love with you Caroline but not this you the real you. I'm here because I want my Caroline back" he whispered softly. She couldn't believe it, he admitted to being in love with her and happiness filled her heart as she smiled staring into those gorgeous blue green orbs. Say something love" he said seeing her smile fade. "I'm a monster" she whispered now with tears spilling from her eyes, she grabbed her chest hyperventilating. "I don't deserve love after what I've done to all those innocent people. I don't even deserve to live!" she scream pushing away from him sinking to her knees. "Calm down love it wasn't your --"

"Don't you dare say it wasn't my fault! In my weakness I chose to turn it off, I betrayed Stefan and everything he's taught me about control and in two days I killed 26 people without blinking an eye" she sobbed and the door quickly opened and Stefan came in pulling her into his arms telling her it would be okay. "I'll never be okay Stefan... I just wanna die"

"Love you know I'd never allow that, not even by your own hand I'd leave you locked away in this dungeon first" Klaus growled. "Tell me I'm horrible and that I deserve to feel this way"

"NO" both Stefan and Klaus shouted together. "Please, don't make excuses for what I've done; I need to be held accountable for it" she said staring at them with sorrowful eyes. "Caroline your ACTIONS were horrible but you are not nor will you ever be" Stefan said letting her go as she stood to her feet and surprised them both when she walked over to Klaus and wrapped her arms around his waist burying her face into his chest. He stood perfectly still completely shocked by her actions. "You're supposed to comfort her you jerk" Stefan chuckled seeing his face. "I'm tired" she whispered so they all went upstairs and grabbed a drink. Klaus was more than happy that Caroline didn't leave his side, she laid on the couch with her head in his lap while he played in her hair. "I'm sorry for what I said about Elena Stefan; and for stabbing you. Klaus I didn’t mean what I said" she said still sniffing. "It's okay Care, you weren't yourself" he smiled laughing at the sight of her falling asleep with her head in Klaus' lap and him completely captivated by her hair twirling it around his fingers and massaging her scalp. Looking at them in that moment they didn't look like the Notorious Original Hybrid and his girlfriend who just killed 26 people; the scene was so normal. "What the hell is so funny Salvatore?" Klaus interrupted his thoughts. "You'll see" he said hitting send watching his face light up when he saw the picture he taken"

"We look so normal" he said staring at it like it was foreign. "You look happy"

"I believe I am mate" he breathed saving it and pulling her onto his lap so he could stretch out with her draped over him then closed his eyes. Stefan snapped another picture and sent it to Klaus’ phone while he continued drinking away his sorrows. Oddly he wasn’t all torn up about Elena anymore especially since he regained contact with an old love. "I'm Sorry! Please I'm so Sorry"  Caroline screamed in her sleep waking both Stefan and Klaus who'd fallen asleep. She bolted up crying and covered in sweat "what's wrong love?"

"Care what's wrong?" they yelled rushing over to her but she backed away. "I saw them in my dreams, their faces, the bodies" she sobbed heavily. "I don't deserve to be happy and loved after what I've done" she cried taking off her daylight ring and throwing it in the fireplace before running out of the door. Both Klaus and Stefan worked to get the ring out of the flame before it was destroyed thankful that it was unharmed when they fished it out. "We have about an hour before the sun starts to rise" Stefan screamed and they split up in search of a very broken Caroline. Klaus checked her house and the town while Stefan took the woods after a half hour they checked in with each other upset that neither of them had found her yet. Klaus felt a pain in his chest, the thought of Caroline dying nearly had him in tears while Stefan rattled off more places to check. "Her mom!" he said snapping Klaus out of his pained thoughts. "Meet me at the cemetery, she went to her mother's grave"

"I'm sorry mom, sorry for everything. I didn't mean to turnout this way, and I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone. Bonnie is dead, Elena doesn't care about anything but herself, Stefan is a amazing friend and I hurt him. I feel awful for shedding tears for Tyler but loving Klaus. At least when I die I'll get to be with Bonnie"

"Care please come home, you're all I have" Stefan called catching the end of her speech. "You're my best friend Caroline, I don't know how I would get through life without you"

"Neither do I my love" Klaus said standing in the clearing. The sun began peeking over the clouds causing them to panic and she hissed in pain "You know I respect your decisions Care but I refuse to let you kill yourself" Stefan said grabbing her and running back to the boarding house with Klaus right behind him. "I'd rather die! I can't even blink without being haunted by what I've done" she broke down. Klaus turned her to face him staring into her eyes "You will only remember turning off your emotions, you drank from the vein but you didn't kill anyone. Stefan came for you and brought you back to yourself. Now sleep my love" he compelled her laying her on the couch after she passed out. "You left yourself out, why? You finally admit you love each other and you wipe it from her memory" Stefan said confused by his action. "She was broken, her emotions were all flooding back at once and in an heightened state and I don't want it that way. I want her in total control of herself, I want bossy, snappy Caroline to willingly let me in."  Stefan was amazed as Klaus slid her ring back on her finger kissed her cheek and left starting at the pictures he'd sent him from earlier.