Chapter Twenty Eight

Sophia's POV

Chase tacked up two horses while I stood watching, fascinated. I know nothing about horses or how to ride, so I'm a little scared.

Okay, I'm terrified.

One horse was tied up and the other Chase was holding firmly by the reins. He beckoned for me to come over.

As I drew nearer, I saw how beautiful my horse was. She was a tall, majestic dapple grey with a white blaze down the centre of her face. The one thing I know about horses is markings and colour. Beyond that, pff.

Chase let go of her reins and stood by her side, motioning me closer.

"Sophia, this is Spirit. You're going to be riding her today" he paused, a smile growing on his face as he gazed at the horse. "She's a wonderful beast, aren't you Spirit?" He cooed, stroking her muzzle gently. Spirit rubbed her face into him and blew out a soft breath. Chase laughed while stroking her neck affectionately in return.

I like the side of Chase that I've discovered today. He seemed most comfortable and relaxed around the horses. It's his forte, I guess.

"Want a leg up?"he asked, focusing on me again.

I shook my head. I'm going to show I'm not an idiot, and can get on a horse by myself. It can't be that hard, right?

"Oh darling. You're no idiot. If anyone is, it's me" he said reading my thoughts, muttering the last bit so I hardly heard him, so I didn't pry further.

I'd show him. I grabbed Spirit's saddle and pulled myself up. Spirit let out a squeal and reared. I fell back and landed on my butt, causing Chase to snigger.

I got to my feet and tried again.

I failed on the first four attempt. On my fifth attempt, I managed to get myself up... and over the other side.

I landed in a strong pair of arms. Still chuckling, Chase stole a brief kiss before putting me down on my feet. I huffed, annoyed with him but more with myself.

"Can I have that leg up now?" I asked sheepishly. He chuckled as if he was expecting me to ask him eventually.

"Okay. So stand on one leg" I did as he asked. He grabbed my other leg. "On three, you have to jump."

I have him a skeptical look.

He sighed. "You have to trust me, Sophia. I'm not going to let anything happen to you"

He'd already let me fall on the floor several times, though...

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay" I whispered.

"One, two, three!" He pushed my leg up with carefully controlled strength.

I was hoisted into the air before landing on Spirit's back. I got comfy in the saddle while Chase adjusted my girth and stirrups.

Chase then got onto his own horse, another dapple grey called Gemini.

Let's just say he was a lot more graceful than I was when it came to getting onto horses. Well, he was more graceful than me at everything...

"Ready?" He asked me.

One look at my panicked expression told him I wasn't.

"You haven't been riding before, have you? Horses, that is. But there's no doubt you've ever ridden either" he said, smirking at me suggestively. I wish I could smack it off his smug face.