Chapter Thirty

"Don't look at me like that, you know I couldn't possibly have told you earlier!" Chase hissed at me.

I was too stunned to react. So Chase, Tyson and Flynn are full brothers. And Tristan and Zephyr are half brothers...

"Are Tristan and Zephyr full brothers?" I whispered, hoping he would say no. But he nodded his head, confirming the worst.

"Let me explain, Sophia. Our mother, Sky, fell for a werewolf named Jev. Our father had been out of the country on Royal business, but we heard no word from him so Sky assumed he was dead. Plus, Elian hadn't claimed Sky yet, so they weren't bound. But they did have us three boys first"

"Sky and Jev had Tristan and Zephyr together before they grew apart. Jev eventually left because he found his true mate, a werewolf called Ashley. So our mother chose to let her brother, Elian claim her. Much like you'll do for one of us to help keep our bloodline pure. Unlike you, our mother had older sisters to do what you have to do, so she had a choice. You don't. But anyway, Zephyr turned out to be neither vampire nor werewolf, not even a hybrid. He became a shifter. As he grew up, he began to hate vampires, and vowed to kill us all. Then you were born, and became obsessed with you, so badly it was scary. That's why our parents made you stay human longer than usual and gave you to a human family. To keep you safe. Zephyr was and still is very unstable."

I think I'm starting to understand this crazy world I've been thrown into a whole lot more. But just because I understand doesn't mean I have to like any bit of it.

"Why did Sky let Elian claim her?" I know it's a touchy subject since he wants me to accept and choose him, but I can't comprehend it. I'd hate to have my independence taken from me, and I'm still reluctant in accepting that is my fate, too.

"Because they fell in love, and she was heart broken about losing Jev. But he had found his true mate, and nothing is stronger than the bond between mates. Within vampire royalty, it gets complicated. The first born girl is expected to choose to let one of her male siblings claim her, she has no choice. Any girls born after her can choose if they want to follow that path or not. And obviously, you're the eldest and only girl"

Yep. Everyone keeps reminding me of what I am expected to do. Gosh, gimme a break already!

"Sorry" Chase murmured.

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. It's just that I've grown up not knowing anything about this, so every time it's brought up it reminds me over and over of how crap my life is becoming"

Chase turned his face away from me.

"So my life has always been crap because I'm a vampire? Am I and my brothers, your brothers, not good enough for you or something?" His tone was laced with anger he hadn't even bothered to hide. I flinched.

"I- I didn't mean it like that!" But I was talking to an empty room, Chase had gone. The door slammed shut behind him, and I was left alone, clutching the photo albums to my chest.