Chapter Thirty Seven

Tristan's POV
I held the knife with my shaking hands.

This is what I have to do, to make up for my mistakes, for my betrayal. I have to kill Zephyr for good. I have to.

But if I kill him, I may never meet my birth mother... And that is what I want more than anything. But that desire is what got us all into this mess in the first place. If I'd never accepted Zephyr's offer, Tyson wouldn't be dead...

The shifter's body began to stir, and I knew I needed to make a decision. Fast.

I brought the knife down hard, just as Zephyr's eyes flew open. The blade embedded itself in his gut, and he coughed. Blood spluttered from his mouth as he looked up at me with shocked eyes.

"You... Traitor" He hissed, coughing up more bloody

A wave of euphoria washed over me. I pulled the knife out and stabbed it straight back in again. And again. And again, laughing in glee as the thick, red liquid from his body poured from the wounds.

A manic laugh bubbled past my lips and I continued to rapidly stab Zephyr. I could feel his blood splashing onto my face, and I loved it.

"What are you doing, Tristan?" Sophia asked cautiously.

I was so focused on killing Zephyr I hadn't even heard her approach. Now I'm screwed, she can't see my like this!

"Is that..." She trailed off.

"Yes. That's Zephyr's body, and I need to kill him to make things right" I gritted my teeth, and stabbed him again and again, smiling like a maniac.

"Stop!" She cried. "Can't you see he's already dead? You've been stabbing a corpse!"

She backed away from me, and realisation dawned upon me as to what I was doing.

"Oh my god, was I..." I whispered, covering my face with my hands. What have I done?

I raced up the stairs after Sophia, but somebody grabbed me.

"Care to explain what you've done?" Chase asked me, seething.

"Let me explain, I-" he punched me, not giving me the time to explain.

"I've heart about the little deal you made with the shifter" he spat, as if the words were poison on his tongue.

I'm sorry, brother, please forgive me...

Sophia's POV
Chase told is all to meet in the library in twenty minutes, as Tristan apparently had something to tell us and an apology to make. But I didn't go there straight away, instead I decided to go to my room to be alone for a while.

As I was on the way, I had to walk past Flynn's room, where I could here some muffled noises and creaks.

I just going to carry on walking, but my curiosity soon got the better of me, like it usually does. I crept towards the door in what I hoped was a stealthy fashion, but I'm sure any vampire could have heard me coming.

But Flynn obviously didn't, because the noises coming from the room continued.

I peaked through the crack, and let out a started yelp at the sight that met my eyes. I swear the image will be burned into my brain forever...