Chapter Thirty Eight

"Sorry" was all Chase had murmured all the way home. I wasn't sure what to think, my emotions were a mess.

My whole family had been murdered, their guts spread over the kitchen. Tyson had also died, he'd been poisoned by Veratrum. My life is falling apart before my eyes.

And I couldn't even shed a tear. I just felt numb, cold. Like all my happiness was gone.

"Elian and Sky are here, and they wish to speak with Sophia" Flynn informed us. I nodded and followed Flynn, Chase trailing behind. My face heated up again at the memory of seeing Flynn in such a comprising situation...

"Alone" Flynn said over his shoulder. Chase's footsteps stopped.

A little while later, we stopped. "In there" Flynn said, pointing towards a door I recognised. The throne room.

Shoving the doors aside, I strode in, a sudden confidence filling me.

"Ah, Sophia, honey. Please take a seat" Sky said kindly, signalling for me to sit.

After I had sat in the chair she'd pointed to, Elian began talking.

"Sophia, I'm sorry to inform you of this, so soon after the recent events, but you have to chose who you'd like to mate with before the night is over. Your inner vampire wants release, and you are very close to your transition. If you fail to do so, your vampire side will chose for you. And we wish for it to be your decision. Your choice is what we wish to discuss" he looked at his wife, and she nodded.

Sky continued the talking. "In the end, it is your choice. But we wish to tell you who we'd like for you to pick"

"I've already decided, I think. But who?" I asked, wondering if it was going to be who I thought they'd say.

"Well, we'd like it if you chose Chase" I knew it. "He's really very lonely, though he hides it well"

I nodded. "I've already made up my mind, anyway"

Elian nudged Sky, who just shrugged and looked at the ground. With a sigh, she looked up and met my eyes. "There's something we didn't tell you... Well, something we just found out ourselves" she whispered, pain in her eyes.

I didn't respond, just gazed at her in confusion. What is it that they could have forgotten to tell me? That when I choose my mate the others die or something drastic like that? Haha, wouldn't surprise me.

"You left this photo album on the table, and when I was looking through it I did notice something strange, though I thought maybe it was the vampire to human transformation that did it. But now I'm not so sure. Will you permit me to check by testing your blood?"

I instantly took a step back, but then replied with an uncertain 'sure'.

Sky stepped towards me, and Elian went to stand behind me, blocking the exit. Though I know they meant no harm, it was still a bit unnerving.

"It's important that you don't tense up, okay? If you do, you may get injured" she warned me before she slowly bit into my flesh.

I wanted to scream, but I held it in. I didn't feel a connection with her like I did with my brothers, and all I felt was pain. Red hot, searing pain.