Chapter 1

Camila had never once considered going to the Annual New Years Eve party annually held at the Jauregui's. They were renowned for being an alcohol fueled, drug-crazed frenzy of hot sweaty bodies bumping, grinding and fucking their way into the next year, and Camila wanted no part in any of it. In fact, she would never have been caught dead at any party that the infuriating girl threw.

Lauren Jauregui had lived across from Camila Cabello for 19 miserable years. They had been inseparable friends early on, but things completely changed as they had grown older. Irreconcilable differences, Camila had concluded. Their friendship split was almost sudden, Lauren had stopped coming over and that was pretty much the end of it. Camila couldn't even recall the reason behind their friendship ending, she just assumed it was due to Lauren and her unsavoury behaviour. Not many years after, Lauren's parents had split leaving Lauren aimless and alone.

The girl learned to entertain herself soon enough, making it her mission to make Camila's life impossible. Not to mention her rebellious streak that got her into more trouble than Camila would care to recall. Lauren would shamelessly flirt, embarrass and mock Camila at any given moment, yet if she needed help or felt threatened and alone, she would be at Camila's window begging to be let in and comforted or stitched up.

These nightly visits had stopped altogether in their last year of high school, and now at college Camila had considered herself free of Jauregui. Of course, much to her dismay, Camila still got hand-delivered invites to the almost weekly parties that constantly happened in the house across the street. It was as if Lauren reveled in her own popularity and arrogant egotism, as she essentially took every moment to throw it back in her face. Camila was already well aware of how blatantly attractive and charismatic the girl was, and it wasn't like she needed to advertise it even further.

Most of the time it almost felt as though the green-eyed girl was going out of her way just to ensure that Camila was aware of what she was missing. She would never forget to message the brown-eyed Latina at the most inconvenient moments to remind her of the details. Camila was somewhat convinced it was a ploy, yet couldn't help but  be impressed by the enormous effort Lauren would waste just to annoy her. To be honest though, she hadn't physically seen or spoken to the girl for approximately two years now, and intended to keep any future interactions as such.

Ironically, the thing that made this New Year's so different is that it just so happened that Camila had caught her boyfriend cheating on her with her so-called "best friend" several weeks beforehand. It had happened the day before their anniversary. Camila had been planning something special throughout the 2 months prior and was completely crushed after he had called to cancel their plans the day before. It didn't help that after she had found Sandra riding naked on top of him, her other friends – including Marielle, her other so called "best friend" – had tried to make excuses for the couple's betrayal.

It didn't take an irate Camila very long to force the truth out of Marielle. They had all known for several months and apparently Sandra wasn't the first of her friends he had fucked on the side. Camila had been played the fool.

Their betrayal hurt in the most unimaginable way; the years of unforgettable memories and long friendships ripped a large shred of Camila away, leaving her bare, broken and vulnerable. What really hurt the most, was knowing that she now had nothing. She was utterly alone, save for her family. Austin Mahone had torn through her life and laid to waste everything in his path, leaving nothing but misery in his wake.

She had been crying so long and hard that she was almost surprised that the tear stains didn't become permanent marks upon her skin. Her voice had been lost long ago from the endless anguished screams that tore from her throat. The now empty hole in her chest had been filled with a lonely darkness that threatened to engulf the frightened girl that she had become. Camila Cabello had become a barely living silent shell; eating, breathing and sleeping.