Chapter 12

**Trigger Warning: Drug abuse and course language**

"FUCK!" Normani shouted and Lauren moaned, each implying the opposite from their respective rooms on different ends of the house.

From Lauren's bedroom in the basement, Camila watched on helplessly as Normani began to pace. Her frustrated muttering could barely be deciphered and her rampant thoughts seemed to fill the silent room. Camila almost jumped when Normani spun around sharply to focus back on her and Ally. It seemed as though a "Eureka!" moment had struck the chocolate skinned girl, her frenzied eyes conveying a newfound hope.

"We're splitting up! Ally, call people, talk to people, find out if anyone knows anything. I'm going to search every room in this house if I have to!" Grim determination was chiseled into her gorgeous features as she spoke.

"What about me?" Camila asked quietly, raising her hand in an almost timid manner. "I... I want to find Lauren. I can help, I swear!"

Normani looked back over at her, hesitance written plainly across her face. "I... don't know if that is the best idea Camila."

Camila's brows creased into a frown, as she glanced over at Ally – who seemed just as confused – and back again. "Why not?"

"Because," Normani sighed heavily, "I just don't think it would be good for you to see Lauren like this." Camila's frown increased along with her own frustration.

"Normani–" Ally warned, before Camila could cut in.

Normani continued, blatantly ignoring the warning. "I thought we would find her in time and by now I think...I think it will be too late by the time we do. You can't see her like that," Normani squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head forcefully in an attempt to expel the flood of haunting memories.

A brief tense silence fell over them until Camila interrupted it with a sigh before finally speaking. "Maybe you're right, but it's not your decision to make. In the end, it's not about what is good for me right now. Lauren needs my– our help right now. Maybe I haven't always been there like I had hoped, but I once made her a promise and I intend to keep it," she took a deep breath and met with Normani's eyes. "I'm finding her whether you want me there or not."

For a minute or so, the two girls were caught in a silent debate, their eyes speaking on their mouths' behalves. The air was thick with an intensity that swirled about the room as neither flinched away from their tense stare-off. Ally knew better than to interrupt them, not intending to be devoured in the flames that were the two passionate girls.

Moments later they eventually came to an unspoken agreement. Normani gave a short nod of acknowledgement to the shorter brunette who returned it. Ally released a puff of breath that she hadn't even realised that she was holding.

"I'm glad that's over," Ally exclaimed with an eye roll. "Now get your butts a-searchin'!"

She practically pushed both girls towards the door while her phone was wedged between her shoulder and her cheek.

***

As the door closed behind them with a loud "Slam!", both girls looked at one another with confusion scrawled across their faces.

"Well..." Camila began awkwardly, her hand coming up distracted to play with her lower lip.

"Yeah, uh... We can maybe start with the other bedrooms?" her voice wavering with uncharacteristic uncertainty. It was as though she had forgotten her confidence back in the other room with Ally.

With no better alternative on offer, Camila just nodded compliantly. She had progressed to chewing at her lower lip in an almost obsessive manner, her nerves activating the subconscious action.