Chapter 2

Christmas passed quickly and before she knew it, New Year's Eve was upon them. Camila was half-hopeful that she would bump into the pale Latina and half-relieved that she didn't. She felt the need to apologise and perhaps give the older girl another chance, but she had no trust and little love for the girl. Her nerves over seeing Lauren once again were messing with her head and she still hadn't completely decided on whether she was even going to the New Years party. But of course, as soon as the usual text message came, Camila had already replied with her "yes" before she had even read the message let alone thought her decision through.

Camila was oddly nervous despite the fact that she had been preparing since Boxing Day for the event. Not liking her current wardrobe, she had gone out to buy a new dress and heels, and had already decided upon her accessories, clutch, hairstyle and even makeup for the night. She would almost say that she were actually excited for the event. She missed having friends to laugh and joke with, even if her friends didn't always get her jokes and sometimes acted like her opinions were irrelevant.

She also missed having a boyfriend; someone to hold and cuddle on those cold and lonesome nights, someone to chat with and take on dates. Austin was never a great kisser, she'll admit that, and the sex was relatively underwhelming, but despite the asshole he turned out to be, they had some amazing and fun times.

Her mind couldn't help but float back to the first New Year's Eves party that she had celebrated with Austin. To say that it was a total disaster would be an understatement and in hindsight, she probably should have dumped him then and there. After all, it would have saved her a lot of heartache.

**Flashback**
Three years prior

It was the afternoon of New Years Eve and Camila was eagerly awaiting her boyfriend's arrival in his new car. He had been excitedly boasting about buying his very own first car, after convincing his parents that his motorbike – a Triumph Storm – wasn't romantic enough for his girlfriend. Camila had swooned a little when he confessed to her that she was the main reason behind him wanting something a "little more spacious". With that charming grin of his, he had promised that his "gorgeous girl" would be the first to ride in it to appreciate it's "full beauty".

According to Austin, they were supposed to be heading to a party along the beach in Key Biscayne, a wealthier area where many of his friends lived. Her boyfriend had told her that it was one of his close mates' place, and that it was "practically a mansion" with some amazing views from the balconies. The perks of living in Miami meant that it was always warm, which led her to ponder over whether or not to bring her bathing suit.

Her indecision was interrupted by the familiar minion ringtone that her friends had been begging her for months to change. She fumbled, hastily answering as she finished the final touches on her make-up. "Hello?"

"CC, babe?"

"Hey Aus!"

"Guess which handsome guy is outside your house?" the smile evident in his voice.

"Hmm... Ryan Gosling?"

"Think better, babe," he replied.

"Better than Ryan Gosling? Impossible."

"I guess I should have expected that," he chuckled.

"You really should have, baby. But don't worry, you're still my number one handsome guy."

"Why do I get that feeling that you're lying?"

"Oh, I wasn't talking to you when I said that, Aus, I was talking to Ryan."

Camila heard him chuckle, before he replied, "Fair enough babe. Now come out and give your REAL boyfriend a hug, will ya?"

"Ryan Gosling IS real."