Chapter 15

**TRIGGER WARNING: Scenes of domestic abuse**

Skip the italics to skip the triggers.

Camila finally found the will to detach herself from the imaginary binds that held her to the wall. She shivered, glad to be rid of the domineering presence that had always frightened her as a child. She was so thankful that the man hadn't recognised her, very much fearing the outcome of such a confrontation after so many years. She was close to tears once again as Dinah grabbed her hand in comfort and led her back over to where Normani and Ally were seated.

"Walz, you're trembling!" Dinah commented, using one of the new names she had coined for the shorter girl in the hour or two that they had known each other.

"I hate that man," she mumbled, not meeting anyone's eyes.

Everyone nodded in response before Normani finally asked, "Has has always been so... that way?"

Camila nodded mutely, her mind taking her back to one of the many traumatic times she had witnessed the abuse and neglect that Lauren had been forced to endure.

** Flashback**

15 Years Ago

Camila was cuddled up into Lauren's side with a blanket laid over their bodies, both giggling adorably at the cartoons that danced across the screen. Being curled up by her best friend's side was Camila's favourite place to be by far. There was a plate of freshly baked cookies laid out on the coffee table before them, the smell wafting through the air spreading warmth and joy through the two young girls. Camila was nibbling thoughtfully on her biscuit, basking in the warmth of Lauren's body and savouring every moment Lauren would protectively curl around her smaller body in order to reach her next cookie.

Lauren's parents were seldom home, leaving for work early in the morning and returning home in the late hours of the night, usually leaving Lauren to her own devices. Camila was aware that Lauren tried to stay out of their way as much as possible and kept out of trouble, but for a child it was a lonely and isolated life. Lauren would therefore often seek refuge in the Cabello's estate, a constant companion for their young daughter of a similar age (not that Camila would have complained anyway). If ever the Cabello's had even been half aware of how truly neglected Lauren was they might have done more to help. Camila was always scared to inflame the situation and therefore never informed her parents of what she witnessed at the Jauregui household. After all, her Lolo's safety was most important.

As per usual for children of their age, the two girl's had been "up to no good" and had made quite a mess in the empty kitchen. Camila had seen how scary Lauren's parents could be when they were convinced their child had "touched something", although more often than not it was usually due to their own incompetence rather than their daughter's so-called "meddling". Lauren was typically the scapegoat of the dysfunctional family due to her lack of power and confidence compared to that of her manipulative parents. It always saddened Camila how submissive Lauren would become as soon as Michael or Clara entered the room, her posture tensing in response to the sense of dread and expectation that would wash over her. Even their presence within the house would set her on edge. So naturally, after their unsupervised baking session, Lauren had become completely paranoid about the state of the kitchen.

"We got to have it the same!" she commanded Camila, who seemed to be too busy licking the batter from the wooden spoon. It was decide that as their cookies were cooking, the two girls would rush around and clean every surface in sight and put away all the ingredients.

Lauren was completely obsessed, checking and double-checking to ensure that everything was where it should be. She eventually sighed a large breath of relief once they were done and gleefully threw her arms around the small frame of Camila. What Lauren was unaware of was that Camila had accidentally spilled a little of the sugar on the floor of the pantry. During their cleaning session the young Latina had climbed to the top of the step-ladder to soon discover that she was too short to reach the top shelf. She had checked over her shoulder to ask Lauren for help, but the young girl was busy cleaning the dishes whilst wearing a flustered expression. She had decided to try once again. As she stretched, the sugar bag teetered on the edge of the shelf and she tried to steady it with her fingers, puncturing the side slightly and leaving a couple of small holes in their wake. As a consequence, some of the sugar had spilled out as she finally slid the bag into place on the shelf.