Five: An All-Nighter {Allie}

Laurance

I was still a little appalled with my sudden panic attack before. I had no idea what I was doing, until Garroth brought me back to real life. He busted through the door, dislocating it from the hinges, and knocked the knife out of my hand. Then he hugged me, and it felt kind of nice. Just because, well...I wasn't really a favorite in my adoptive father's eyes. Cadenza got most of the attention and even somedays I was forgotten.

Garroth released me from the embrace and got me to calm down. I inhaled and exhaled deeply while the last drops of sadness slipped down my cheeks.

"Laurance, it's okay. Don't worry," he said, brushing his thumb over the moisture on my face.

"Oka-okay. I'll try. Sorry," I apologized, "for doing that."

Garroth shook his head. "Don't worry about it. Like I said, it's okay," he smiled.

He walked away from me and pulled the knife out of the floor. It left a small nick in the wood that I would have to remember every time I was in my room.

"Hey, Laurance?" Garroth said my name; it gave me tingles when he did.

"D-Do you want to hang out in my room?" he stuttered. I blushed.

"No! Not like that! There's a football game on in a few minutes," he informed me. I nodded and got a pillow and blanket. Turning the knob, I stepped inside his room and cannonballs into his bed.

Ten minutes later Garroth came in with the pizza he ordered and a smaller box on top of it.

"Here," he said, handing the smaller box to me. "I heated up some pizza I found in the freezer, so here you go," he smiled, handing me the box of warm cardboard. I ate hungrily as Garroth turned on the TV and popped the tab off of a can of Pepsi.

The commentator sounded super cheerful and enthusiastic, too much for my liking. The bottom of the screen said his name was Dale. Music played in the background.

"Hello fans, and welcome to Saturday Night Football! Tonight the Phoenix Drop Wyverns are taking on the O'Khasis Stallions, and what a game this will be! The Wyverns and the Stallions have been rivals ever since a fight broke out on the field. Take a look."

Then the screen played a clip of a game that aired long ago. It was in slo-mo, and the teams were warring. It started when a Stallion pushed over a Wyvern. Then every member of each team got into a full-blown bullfight. Four people had broken noses, seven with black eyes, and two people broke their legs. A man, now retired due to injury, paralyzed himself. The crowd was screaming really loud.

"Wow, wasn't that a heck of a fight! Now onto the game," Dale smiled. Before they cut him offscreen to the field, he could be seen chugging a glass bottle of root beer.

I found it hard to pay attention to the game, since I didn't really understand football. I was more of a baseball person. I took out my phone and started playing a game.

Garroth leaned over my shoulder and asked, "What game is that?"

I smiled. "It's called Crossy Road. What you have to do is get as far as you can without dying. Okay?" I explained and handed him my phone.

Garroth's expression showed confusion. "Er, s-so..."

"You tap to go forward, and you swipe to go all other directions. Don't get hit by a car, and try to get the coins," I told him.

"Okay," he said, and started the game. I watched him dodge cars and trees, and he was good at it. Then he jumped in a river and died.

"Ugh!" Garroth laughed and handed back my phone. I smiled. His score of 12 was nowhere close to my highscore of 347.

I continued playing games like Crossy Road. Soon I got bored and got a game that Katelyn and Aphmau raved about all the time. It was called Neko Atsume. When I got bored of that, I started to play Five Nights at Freddy's. Normally I would rather be dead than play that game, but Garroth being around seemed to ease my anxiety and fear.

Garroth turned the TV off and laid down. "I'm going to bed," he said, pulling the cord to the lamp. "Hit the sack whenever you want."

"I'm gonna right now," I said, feeling my cheeks heat up. I thanked Irene he couldn't see me in the dark.

We laid on our sides, facing each other. Garroth giggled, and soon I did too. As I drifted off to sleep, I almost fought the urge to get up and go back to my room, because I realized something.

Dante and Travis are going to come back, and we left the door open.

Crap.

Then I gave in to slumber and shut my eyes.

•••

A/N - hey guys! Glad you like the book. Also thank you for 300 reads! It means a lot to us. Also we will try not to take away from the book by doing author's notes all the time. We know you guys want more Gaurance! ;)

~ Allie

(See Lia, that's how sane people write author's notes. XD jk)