fifteen

"So why'd you need to be picked up last night, any way?" Luke asked, looking over at Michael as Michael pulled the hem of his shirt down a little lower for a reason Luke did not know of. Luke couldn't remember the full phone conversation that was shared between the two boys; they could've had phone sex and he wouldn't have remembered it.

Michael just shrugged, "I was bored."

Luke thought that was too plain of an answer for Michael. Surely there had to be a reason he wanted Luke to randomly come to get him from his house at around 9pm. If he was bored surely he could've left his home with some friends more around his age, some boys he partied with perhaps.

Luke didn't want to press the situation, but he was striving to know. Luke wasn't important, why Luke?  "Come on Michael, you know I'm your friend. I'll tell you something if you tell me."

Luke could see that Michael didn't want to answer; he was fidgeting with the hem of his shirt again. Maybe that was a nervous habit of his.

After a few more seconds in silence as the two boys continued their peaceful walk through the woods, Michael let out a sigh.

"We were arguing, me and my parents. And if you must know, you're the only person I can think of that doesn't just numb me with some alcohol, because they think that makes everything better. You bring out the better side of me, the side I'd be better off having permanently. And I didn't mean to go all deep speaking on you," Michael chuckled, "but you're the only real friend I've got."

Luke was shocked. He wasn't for sure if he was more shocked at how much he could relate to what Michael had just said, or if he was shocked that Michael actually felt that way.

Luke glanced over at Michael; seeing Michael's blond hair whip in the wind, seeing his green eyes squint at the sun shining down on him through the patches between the trees of the woods. Michael was a good guy.

"You know Michael, I feel the same way. All of my grown up friends are mature, with families and real jobs who like to get drunk every night and only watch Fight Club, unlike this sack of balls guy who works at Kroger and watches every show on Cartoon Network until I can recite every line myself," Luke chuckled, shoving his hands in the pocket of his jeans, his eyes still on Michael, "but you, I can be myself around you, you know? Except last night; for some reason I was so struck on not letting you know I was drunk."

Michael smiled at Luke, happy he could relate. After all, Michael wasn't one to talk about how he felt a lot, at all actually.

There was a comfortable silence around them for a little while; the only sounds being the not so soft crunching of leaves beneath their feet with every step they took, and the shuffling of the birds and squirrels in the trees.

They had eventually made their way through the forest; it wasn't too thick with trees, so that wasn't surprising. Soon, they came to a halt at a river before them. Both had known about this river, but time had got the best of them and eventually they arrived at the body of water.

Luke looked to Michael, nodding his head forward in a gesture to tell Michael to sit with him at the bank. And so they sat there together, for what seemed like hours to them.

what a lame filler :-/