Chapter 22

Inspector Megure and his team had taken four of the robbers down to the entrance of the shopping centre, but as the last remained unconscious, they had to wait until he awoke in order to take him down.

The police interviewed the shop keeper and the girl that was held as a hostage. Once the victims were out of the way, the police moved onto the people who were witness to it.

Having been done with the questioning, Kazumi had secluded herself away from the scene. She wasn't used to being surrounded by people, and she didn't plan on liking it anytime soon.

She moved to sit on a lower wall, where she was able to see the scene from a far. Removing her white blazer, she rolled up the long sleeves of her school blouse, leaving them at her elbows. Placing her blazer across her lap, and her hands beside her, she released a tired sigh.

"I actually thought that you were going to shoot him for a second there." Came the relieved voice of her twin. Kazumi turned to see Kaito, standing a little distance away from her with a hand in his trouser pocket.

"I actually would have." She replied quietly.

Kaito sighed and then walked over to sit next to her on the lower wall. "I'm glad you didn't." Not being able to hold in his protective-big-brother-mode, Kaito quickly turned and enveloped her in his arms. "You scared me half to death Kazumi. I felt defenceless whilst you were fighting those robbers."

Kazumi sighed, not really knowing what to say. "I was okay... up until the point of when he pointed the gun at you, and that was when I kind of... lost it."

Kaito's eyes widened. He pulled away to look into her eyes. "Kazumi, you didn't have to-"

"No Kaito. Don't you dare. Don't you dare say that I didn't have to do that. My main mission is to protect you from both the Magpies and the organisation that killed dad. But if I can't even protect you from one petty robber with a loaded handgun, I would be pathetic. All of my training would have been a waste. And there was a high chance of me losing my family. I will never let that happen." She spoke harshly, making sure that he understood that fact of her being serious.

With a look of sympathy, Kaito turned away from his twin. "I'm sorry." He whispered to her.

Kazumi sighed. "Well, it wasn't your fault. I just can't let anything happen to you. I have to protect you and Shinichi, with my very life."

Deciding that it would be best to change the subject, Kaito smiled to her. "Oh, by the way." Kazumi looked to him. When she was looking at him, he held up his thumb. "Nice ass-kicking back there. It was pretty awesome."

Her eyes widened a little but then relaxed to seeing the happiness in his eyes. She looked away and couldn't help but let a small smile curve her lips.

"Would dad really be proud of me, if he knew what I had done in the past?" Kazumi asked in her mind, her conscious beginning to become paranoid. That made her paranoid.

"Kazumi-chan!" Called out a voice, shocking both her and Kaito out of their silence. The pair of them looked up to see Shinichi, Ran, Aoko and Sonoko running towards them. Kazumi could feel their anxious questions.

When they reached the pair, the three girls quickly surrounded Kazumi, desperate for answers. Aoko was the first to speak. "Kazumi-chan! How did you do that? That was amazing."

Ran and Sonoko nodded in agreement. "Do you do Karate like Ran?" Sonoko asked, excitedly curious.

"I could never take down that many people at once!" Ran exclaimed. "And the way you threw that man, it was as if he weighed nothing. You must be really strong."

Kazumi couldn't even get a word out. She just stared to the three girls. "Erm... well..."

"Don't bombard her with tons of questions." Said Shinichi, stopping them. They all looked to him. The detective slid his hand into his pocket, closing his eyes. "She doesn't have to explain herself, as to how she did it. Let's just be grateful that she's unharmed."

The girls looked down, feeling guilty. They didn't mean to make Kazumi feel uncomfortable. They just wanted to know how she could do those things. And it was understandable, as Kazumi had quite a fragile looking form. Her muscles were strong, very strong. Not even and ounce of fat on her. But she still looked fragile.

Kaito looked to his cousin and mouthed a thanks to the detective. Shinichi nodded with a small smile in return.

》》》》》》》

When the Kuroba's got home, Kazumi sank down onto the sofa. She wasn't worn out, or tired. She was just... stunned. Reason being, she reminded herself of being back with the Magpies. Fighting was all she ever really knew. She had grown up with it. But when she saw that man point his gun at Kaito, she instantly lost control of her anger.

Yes, it was true that she could have pulled the trigger and killed him. But she knew better. Killing a man who had held people hostage, or threatened people by pointing his gun at them wouldn't make her better. It would make her as low as him. She wouldn't be a hero or a saviour. She would be a killer. And that was something that she promised herself she wouldn't be.

Unknown to her, Kaito had walked into the living room. He stopped in the doorway when he saw his baby sister's lost gaze.

Kazumi was just sat there, staring out of the window. It worried the magician a little.

"Is there something wrong?" Kaito asked, breaking the silence.

Kazumi didn't even move. She just continued to stare into space, not even acknowledging her elder brother's presence.

Hiding his concern, the magician stepped closer and kneeled beside her. When she didn't look at him, Kaito placed a hand on her shoulder. "Kazumi?"

Kazumi flinched as she looked to him with surprise. "Kaito!" She gasped, fear scratching her tone.

When she calmed down, Kaito asked again. "Is there something wrong?"

Kazumi looked into his indigo eyes and sighed. With a shake of her head, she answered. "No, I'm alright. I just felt like..." She drifted off, not knowing how to continue.

Kaito titled his head to the side, curious. "Felt like what?"

"I don't know. I just felt like... When I was fighting those robbers, I felt like I was back with the Magpies." She looked away from him. "And then I thought about you said before, about dad."

"What did I say?"

"You said that dad would be... proud of me." She answered. "But I wondered if he actually would be. Would he be proud of me, and the things I've done." With a deep breath, Kazumi looked back to Kaito. "I could have actually shot that man back there. And I don't think dad would have been proud of me for that."

Kaito was silent for a moment before he stood and held out a hand to his baby sister. Kazumi looked upto him confused. Kaito just smiled. "Come on."

Kazumi raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

Kaito's smile grew wider. "I want to show you something." With that, he took her hand and pulled her up. With her stood, he lead her upstairs.

》》》》》》》

Author's Note : Hello there, I hope you are all well. I am so sorry that I have taken so long to update, but here is chapter 22 and so I hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to tell me what you think.

* MANY KISSES * AMCDeBurgh;-) ♡ ¤ ♡ ¤ ♡ ¤ ♡