Chapter 27

The first thing Kazumi did when she woke up the next morning, was go straight to Kaito's room. Fully dressed in her uniform, just in case she had to run out of the house, she walked down the hallway and stopped in front of Kaito's bedroom door.

Without hesitation, she knocked. "Kaito?" She called softly through the door. When she didn't receive an answer, she knocked again. But this time, a lot harder. "Kaito, are you in there?"

When she didn't get an answer, she deeply inhaled before placing her hand on the handle of his bedroom door. Turning it, she slowly pushed it open. Her eyes closed, just in case she walked in on him getting changed. Risking opening an eye, Kazumi relaxed to seeing that her brother wasn't getting changed.

Her mind began to race when she walked into his room, quickly making her way to his bed. Throwing the covers aside, she placed her hand on the mattress to only find it cold. "Dammit." She cursed, punching the mattress. So he hadn't slept in his bed.

She fell onto the bed, sagging her shoulders. She couldn't help but catch sight of the large portrait of her father. Looking with eyes of determination, she pushed herself off of her brother's bed and then stalked over to the portrait, stopping to stand in front of it.

Taking a long deep breath, she released it just as slowly before focusing on the portrait before her. Placing the base of her palm on the side of the painting, she pushed it gently causing it to tilt inward, revealing the secret staircase leading to the secret room below.

Walking into the now open space, she quickly walked down the steps, listening to the sound of the portrait turning back to hiding the room.

Quickly stepping down from the last step, she looked around the room only to see darkness. Walking further in, the lights above lit the path to the other side of the room. Now being able to see everything, Kazumi walked up to the white car, parked to the side of the room.

"Kaito?" She called out with hope, wishing that he was just hiding behind something. But when she got no response, she released a shaky breath.

Clutching her hands into tight fists, she walked out of the room, up the stairs and then back through the portrait and into her brother's room.

Storming out of Kaito's room, she grabbed her satchel from the living room and then walked to the front door, putting her school shoes on in the process. Looking at the clock on her phone, she could see that it was almost the same time to leave as her and Kaito usually did in the morning.

With her neck bow tie straightened, although she didn't care, she walked out of the Kuroba house. With her hands in her blazer pockets, her satchel hanging from her wrist, she walked facing the ground, trying to fathom out where her brother could be.

Kazumi thought for a while before contemplating on whether to ring Shinichi or not. He was obviously worried, just like she was. But she didn't want to make him panic or worry.

Just as she thought about ringing her cousin, the sweet voice of her twin's childhood sweetheart brought her out of her thoughts. "Good morning Kazumi-chan." Aoko exclaimed. Her eyes widened when she didn't see her childhood sweetheart standing beside Kazumi. Looking around, Aoko looked back to the female Kuroba, concerned. "Kazumi-chan, where's Kaito?"

Kazumi looked to her, not knowing what to say. Biting her lip as she tried to find the right way in saying the truth, without panicking the girl before her, Kazumi finally looked to her.

"Well, Aoko-chan..." she began. "I don't know where Kaito is. He never came home last night." She turned to Aoko, hope in her eyes for the safety of her brother. "Aoko-chan, please tell me that you've heard from him."