Chapter 40

"So, Aoko-chan's father doesn't know about me?" Kazumi asked as she walked beside her brother down the path leading to her brother's childhood sweetheart's house.

The teenage magician moved his shoulders in a way that showed he had no idea how to answer that question, due to the complication of the answer. His face mimicked his shoulders a moment later. "Eh, well... he knows of you."

Kazumi's left eyebrow quirked upwards with confusion. "What does that mean?"

Kaito let the tension in his shoulders sag, heaving out a loud sigh, "The way Aoko explained to me how she explained you to her father, wasn't the most simplistic way of telling him."

The younger twin's eyes widened slightly, drawing back to then turn away from her brother to face the direction they were walking in. "Alright, so all we need to do is go along with the story of what we planned. And if Nakamori-keibu asks me a question, I'll just improvise the answer."

Nodding, Kaito replied, "Though making the improvisation believable of course."

"Of course."

Turning the next corner on the right, they reached the Nakamori family home, stopping outside to just stare at the door, (also to gather up the nerve to step closer and ring the doorbell.)

Kaito took in a deep breath, taking a moment to glance at his sister before turning back to the house and pressing the doorbell.

After hearing the doorbell sound inside of the house, the sound of footsteps were heard and then the door was swung open to reveal a brightly smiling Aoko. "Kaito! Kazumi-chan! So glad you're here," she exclaimed brightly. Aoko stepped to the side, "Come in, come in."

Stepping into the house and removing their shoes at the genkan, Aoko stepped closer to Kazumi, whispering to her, "I told my Dad that you lived in France and grew up there with your Mom, Chikage-san's sister. But you came to Japan to study here."

Kazumi met her eyes when she was finished slipping into her borrowed house slippers, "Yeah, that sounds about right. Thank you again, Aoko-chan, though I hate that you had to lie to your father for my benefit."

Aoko smiled sweetly, "Hey, don't worry about it. It's not like we can tell everyone the truth of you actually being Kaito's twin sister, which my father remembers because he was there to help your parents over their loss of you."

Kaito was the one to thank Aoko this time, by gently placing his hand on her shoulder, which made the girl turn to him. He smiled, "Thanks, Aoko. We both really appreciate this."

Aoko smiled again. "Honestly, it was an honour." She then let out a chuckle, "I think Kazumi-chan is wearing off on you, Kaito, because you've turned into such a sweetheart ever since she turned up."

The comment raised a giggle from Kazumi and a glare from Kaito. "I'll have you know that I am always a sweetheart. You just don't deserve to see it most of the time." He shot back with a side smirk.

As Aoko was about to throw her own comment back, a call from the kitchen caught all of their attention, making the three teenagers turn to the doorway where footsteps could be heard.

Nakamori Ginzo stepped through the doorway, holding a teatowel as he dried his hands. He turned to the teenagers and smiled warmly, "Ah, Kaito-kun, good to see you again. Though I thought you and Aoko had started to bicker as you were taking a long time to come in." He paused to glance at Kazumi, who seemed to be hiding behind Kaito.

Aoko, following her father's gaze, stepped forward. "Ah, Dad, this is Kazumi-chan. Kaito's cousin." Aoko then turned to Kazumi and gestured towards her father, "Kazumi-chan, this is my father Nakamori Ginzo. He is the leading inspector for the Kid task force."