Chapter 28

The whole day was strange. Shinichi and Kazumi noticed it straight away. They didn't like it.

The magician hadn't performed one magic trick. Normally, people would accept this because they could finally have a peaceful day without mop fights, confetti and tricks. But, that's where it was strange.

For any normal magician, that would be fine. But for Kaito to not be his usual prankster self, something was definitely off.

Some of the other students had noticed Kaito's strange calmness, and began to look at the non-magical-magician with tension. They all began to look unsteady and were all on alert, just in case the boy moved. This was because a quiet Kaito, meant a bad Kaito.

When lunchtime came around, Aoko had asked if she could sit with just Sonoko and Ran, as she couldn't bare to face her childhood sweetheart after what he had said. Shinichi and Kazumi understood and didn't mind, as they could actually have the time to drag Kaito somewhere for... questioning.

Shinichi asked Kaito, before the pair of them dragged him off, if he wanted to leave the classroom to have lunch. When Kaito just shook his head, saying that he wasn't hungry, Kazumi lost it.

Quickly grasping his sleeve, she pulled him out of the classroom and into a corridor with empty classrooms and no students. Shinichi followed closely behind, playing the part of good cop so to speak.

Kazumi pushed Kaito up against the wall and placed her hands on her hips. "I let it slip before, because I was worried about you and I was relieved this morning when I saw that you were okay." Her eyes squinted slightly into glaring daggers. "But, you have been acting strange ever since this morning."

"And you didn't go home last night." Shinichi added. "Where did you go last night Kaito?"

Kaito looked to them both and then sighed a shaky breath, dropping his head to the floor. "Look, I know I made you worry and for that, I'm sorry." He looked up to meet their eyes. "But, can I just have a moment without being controlled like a machine."

Shinichi's and Kazumi's eyes raised with confusion. "Controlled?" Shinichi echoed.

"Kaito, we're not trying to control you like a machine." Kazumi reassured, although there was still confusion in her tone from his comment. "Where on earth did you get that idea?"

Kaito's eyes widened as if just realising what he had said. Looking away from them both, he seemed as if he had said something wrong, or had said something that wasn't supposed to be said.

Shinichi placed a hand on his shoulder. "Kai, are you alright?" He asked softly.

Kaito nodded before shrugging off his cousin's hand. "Yeah... I'm fine." With that, he pushed past them and walked away.

Kazumi and Shinichi just watched in silence as the magician turned the corner, out of sight.

After a long moment, Shinichi placed his hands in his pockets, before leaning against the wall Kaito was previously pressed up against. He released a heavy sigh. "He didn't give us anything to go on for a reason."

Kazumi crossed her arms over her chest, leaning up against the wall opposite Shinichi. Stetching one leg out slightly, she crossed her other one over it. "I know I haven't known Kaito for as long as you have, but I know that he isn't normally like that."

Shinichi nodded. "Yes, you're right on that one." Thinking for a moment, he added. "I just don't understand it. Normally, people are quite easy to understand. But, Kaito... Kaito's always been a challenge."

Kazumi nodded with understanding. "I suppose it's not always on their behaviour. It's their personality aswell that helps you understand a person."

Shinichi smirked as he looked to her. "I swear, you'll make a great detective."

Kazumi looked to him and stifled a giggle. "No, I'm not really keen on that sort of thing."

The detective shrugged. "You're definitely still a Kuroba though."

Kazumi raised an eyebrow. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Kaito said the same thing before I dragged him to a case with me a few years ago." Shinichi supplied, earning the look of surprise from his younger cousin. "And now we're known as the saviours of the task force."

"Well, most detectives these days are too busy pointing fingers at people, even though they may be wrong." Seeing the look of true hurt out Shinichi's face made her instantly feel guilty. "No, I'm not meaning that you are like that. I'm just saying that detectives in general don't always look into enough detail with the evidence that they have found. For all they know, the evidence could have just been given to them on a platter, making them think they found it themselves."

The hurtful look on Shinichi's fave turned into one of a happy smile. "I actually agree with you. There has been many times where the police have been accidently mislead, due to their detectives finding useful evidence. But that evidence could turn out to be the complete opposite." He looked into her eyes. "Both me and Kaito have been there to witness that."

Kazumi shrugged, accepting his answer. "I understand that, I really do." She turned to look at the far window, at the end of the corridor. "It's just that... I've never really been on the side of the law, due to what I grew up with."

Shinichi looked to her intently, sympathy evident in his eyes. "That must have been hard to escape from."

Kazumi to looked to him and gave a half-hearted laugh. "You have no idea. And to be honest," She continued, a softer smile curving her lips this time. "I don't think you would want to know."

Shinichi nodded to her. "I'm not going to lie and say that I would want to, because I wouldn't. But I would rather go through that, than you having to." He smiled warmly to her. "And I know Kaito has said the same thing."

Kazumi's eyes widened to his comment. After a moment, she relaxed and smiled to him in return. "I... I really appreciate that, thank you."

Shinichi waved it off. "There's no need to thank me." Pushing himself away from the wall, he gestured in the direction Kaito had walked in when he walked away from them minutes ago. "Shall we get to class?"

Heaving a sigh, Kazumi pushed herself off of the opposite wall and walked to class with her cousin. When they returned back to class, Kaito was again sat at his seat, staring out of the window as if he didn't even get interrogated fifteen minutes ago about the way he was acting now.

Kazumi and Shinichi looked to each before sighing heavily, shaking their heads in silent agreement.

Shinichi walked into the classroom, but was stopped by Kazumi grasping his wrist gently. He turned around to face her questionably. "Kazumi?"

Kazumi wasn't looking at him, she was looking at Kaito. She had a plan. Shinichi could see it in her indigo eyes. "We only have a couple of classes left don't we, before we go home?" When Shinichi nodded, she continued. "After school, Kaito will probably wait until everyone else has left before going home. When he does, I'll stay and see if I can get the truth of where he was, and why he has been acting like this." She finally met Shinichi's eyes. "I may be thinking too highly of the situation, but he's my brother and I can't help but be worried and concerned."

Unknown to them, Kaito was sat at his desk and smirking. He could hear their conversation after filtering everyone else's in the room, amplifying theirs. "So it seems that she's too clever. Let's just see how far she can guess."

》》》》》》》

Author's Note : All I can say is to PREPARE yourselves for the next chapter...

Tell me what you thought of this chapter.

* MANY KISSES * AMCDeBurgh;-) ♡ ¤ ♡ ¤ ♡