Chapter Four: Catch Me If You Can

Seeing as I'd skipped my Spanish class in favor of wallowing in The Muddy Cup, I headed over to the Physics department nearly fifteen minutes early just to be sure I wouldn't be late. To keep my mind off of what had happened with Mickey, I spent the rest of the day running from class to class, even spending my free time studying in the library. Luckily I didn't have to tutor today, or there would've been so much more on my plate to deal with than just avoiding Mickey. In World History, I snuck in seconds before the bell rang so he wouldn't have time to search me out, and I left almost before we'd even been dismissed.

"Benny, wait! Wait! Benny!" I heard Mickey's alluring deep voice shout my name across the Quad, but I kept walk-running until I'd reached the Science building, and I slipped in. Within five minutes, I'd spotted Sam's wavy dark hair and glasses among the throng of late-night students, and I grabbed onto his arm and dragged him into a nearby corner.

"Hey Ben, what's wrong?"

"I need your help," I said urgently, bending my head forward but still practically shouting to be heard. Although it was nearly 8:30 at night, many students in the science programs took night classes so it was busy as heck.

"Okay," Sam said slowly, scrunching his eyebrows and peering at me intently.

"I, um...I kissed Mickey."

"You did what?" Sam yelled in surprise, stepping back and throwing his arms out dramatically. I quickly pulled his hands in, trying not to attract too much attention, and shushed him.

"Shhh! It wasn't my fault, he just...seduced me!" I yelped defensively, but Sam was already shaking his head and giving me exasperated looks.

"I knew you'd fall for his games, Benny. But you have to stay away from Mickey – he may be a great player-"

"Yeah, in more ways than one-"

"-but the guy's dangerous. Trust me," Sam finished, smirking at my comment. I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest but nodding reluctantly.

"I know. In fact..."

"What?" Sam asked, his interest piqued.

"Sam, what if Mickey's not just dangerous, he's...dangerous?" I said quietly, raising my eyebrows and giving Sam a look. Immediately he scowled, stepping away from me in disgust.

"Look, I get it, you kissed him and it was a huge mistake, but you can't just go around accusing people of being-"

"But what if it's true? I mean, think about it, Sam. You said yourself that he's broken people's bones during games. That's abnormal behavior, no matter how you look at it."

"No, that's anger management problems, Benny! God, what is wrong with you?" Sam shouted in my face before he stormed away, disappearing out the door in a rage. I sighed again, leaning my head back against the wall while I thought over what I'd said to my friend. He's right. I'm being ridiculous. But now I had a raging headache, and I swiftly reached into my bag to fetch an ibuprofen before I snuck into my Biology class a couple minutes late. Sam's usual seat beside me was empty, and stayed empty until the hour was up. Dammit. I hated when Sam was pissed at me, and I went searching for him in my free time before our Creative Writing course, which was stupidly scheduled at eleven p.m.

            After calling him five times, leaving two voicemails, and sending at least ten text messages, I finally decided to go looking for him in his favorite place to think – the basketball gym. As I walked across campus in the dark, an unnerving feeling of threat settled over me, and I looked over my shoulder like a sorority girl in a slaughter film. Stop being stupid, Benny, I told myself, but even so I quickened my pace and was relieved when I stepped into the bright lights and air-conditioning of the athletic center. There were double doors that led into the waiting area, with a series of offices and locker rooms on the right and a hallway leading to the weight room, yoga studio, and other rooms stretching out to the left. I walked straight forward, entering the gymnasium from the top level, which came out on the wraparound track. From my vantage point, I could peer down on the entire court, and I did a quick sweep to see if Sam was there; he wasn't.