Chapter Twelve: History Repeating

"Wait Shane, you know Benny?" Mickey's voice sounded in confusion, and I found myself having to rip my gaze away from Mr. Ashe's penetratingly intense one. It had been nearly two years since I'd seen him, and not that I had many fond memories of high school, but my relationship with Mr. Ashe had been passionate and real and the best thing I'd had going for me (at the time). 

"Yeah. Um, remember when I taught at that high school for a couple years? Benny was my best student," Mr. Ashe replied with another sly look in my direction, igniting a blush in my cheeks that I'd rather Mickey not notice. It wasn't like I still had feelings for Mr. Ashe, even though he had been my first. But first what, really? First boyfriend? No. First love? Definitely not. I never even liked him that much...not as much as I like Mickey. And just like that, the remnants of my feelings for my old high school latin teacher melted away, replaced by the sweet, refreshingly new memories I already had with Mickey. We'd only been together for a few weeks and already we'd been through so much. 

"You never told me that."

"Guess I forgot to mention it. Whoops." 

"Wait, how do you know Mr. Ashe?" I asked Mickey, sensing a slight tension between the two men and puzzling over it in my mind. 

"Um. He's, uh, a friend of mine. We go way back," my boyfriend answered shortly, giving a subtle head shake towards Mr. Ashe, who had just opened his mouth to say something when he snapped it shut and turned to give me a brief hug. 

"Well, it was nice seeing you again, Benny. Maybe we can get together sometime to catch up? Mickey has my number." And with those parting words, Mr. Ashe turned and strode out of Letito's, a stiff, agitated aspect to his gait that I hadn't noticed before. What's up with him? Maybe he didn't handle our break up as well as I did all that time ago. Shrugging it off and returning to the delightful, celebratory meal I was sharing with Mickey, a small part of my brain lingered on the run-in with my ex. Strange how I never knew that Mickey and Mr. Ashe knew each other. I guess I never told Mickey about it, but still. 

                 Two hours later, I sat at home massaging my shin absentmindedly now that it was cast-free and pondering my relationship with Mickey. Things had been so good lately that I didn't want to think even a single negative thought, but I was stressing on the decision to tell Mickey about me and Mr. Ashe. If they're friends, surely he will tell Mickey himself. Right? But I wasn't sure. 

"Hey, Benny. Can I talk to you?" Sam's familiar deep, worry-filled voice splashed over me, shaking me out of my trance and instantly putting a scowl on my face. We hadn't been on the best of terms since Sam had tried to convince me that Mickey was a werewolf who'd saved my life and was now repeatedly lying to me about it. After all, it was a very serious accusation in our world. We'd stumbled upon the existence of werewolves coincidentally; when one had murdered our best friend. No matter how it had happened, the loss of Sabrina was bound to be hard, but it was made all the more life-altering because the murderer was a mythological creature who had, of course, never been caught. Sabrina's death had gone un-solved, and Sam and I had never received any type of solace or comfort. 

            Without hesitating, I could easily say that losing Sabrina was the hardest thing that I'd ever had to go through. If not for Sam, I don't think I could've gotten past it. The two of us hadn't encountered a werewolf since, but our friendship was cemented with the knowledge that we knew of their existence. We knew the truth. So for Sam to say that he had irrefutable reason to believe that Mickey was a werewolf, possibly the one that killed Sabrina...it was unimaginable. Unforgivable. 

"What do you want?"

"To show you something. I know you said- look, okay, I know what you said. But you need to see this." Sam placed the laptop he was clutching in his hands on my lap, opening the screen and pulling up a video. I hesitated, unsure of whether or not I should push him away and run up to my room. As it turned out, I stayed and allowed myself to glimpse a shot of me, bursting into the gymnasium breathlessly and leaning over the railing. Oh no...

"Sam! I told you I didn't want to hear your lies anymore-"

"But they're not lies, Benny. I told you the truth before and I'm telling you the truth now. Just watch." 

And I did. 

********************************************************************

Hey guys! As I said on all of my other updates, I am SO SORRY it took so long to update this story! I had a bunch of technical difficulties and all of my stories got deleted which majorly sucks, but I'm back now and I plan to update once a week, maybe once every two weeks since I'm getting so busy. Also, I apologize for this boring filler and super short chapter, I'll try to get some more drama out next chapter! Please lemme know what you thought of it in the comments :) And dont forget to vote!! I really appreciate it guys. Anyway, i'll try to get Chapter 13 up by the end of this week! And check out  my other stories too :) Thanks! xoxox