Chapter Fifteen: Original Sin

“What?” I exclaimed, staring Mickey down as his eyes glowed bright yellow and he backed up until he reached the door of the locker room. Pregnant? That’s impossible.

“You’re pregnant. I...I got you pregnant. You’re pregnant, Benny.”

“No! I’m not! You’re lying!” I screamed suddenly, the pressure behind my eyes exploding. Mickey was lying, and I had no idea why. If I was pregnant, I would know. I would know.

“I...I have to get out of here,” Mickey mumbled before he turned and bolted, the door shutting with a soft click behind him. I remained motionless, my eyes wide and beginning to water slightly. I didn’t know what to think; I didn’t know what to do. So I exited the locker room a few minutes after him, walking back up the bleachers and finding Jess, who sat, her eyes glued to her phone as she texted away.

“Oh hey. Where’d you go?”

“I, uh...bathroom,” I said in a daze, sitting down and grabbing my purse from underneath the bleacher. I pulled out my phone as well, checking to see if I had any messages. I didn’t.

“Josh just texted me saying he’s at the house, so I think I’m gonna head back...will you be okay here by yourself?” Jess asked, standing up and already moving to the steps before I could respond.

“Of course, go. I’ll see you later.”

“Great! Bye Benny.”

                                Once Jess was gone, I had nothing left to distract me from my thoughts. The game had continued on without Mickey, and I had a brief moment of happiness when I noticed Sam was in. It didn’t last long, however, and soon I felt like my head was going to explode if I didn’t take my mind off Mickey, and the fact that I could be...pregnant. So I gathered my stuff, sliding my arms in my jacket and slinging my purse across my body before I stood up and left the gym. Pushing through the crowds of people hounding to see the game or buy a soda at the concession stand, I darted out of one of the emergency exits, the alarm being broken a long time ago. Once I was out in the cool night air, my head began to clear, and I sucked in a few deep breaths. Now, I didn’t have very many friends at UVA; in fact, I only really had Sam. So I knew there was no one to stop me from making one bad decision after another, which is why I headed into town and walked straight into the first bar I came across.

“Well what can I do for you, young lady? You look like you could use a drink,” the bartender called to me, flashing me a charismatic smile that was unnecessary. I was already planning on getting drunk. It just so happened that Shelly's was a college bar, which in this town meant that the guy wouldn’t really be checking my ID; besides, I would be twenty-one in three weeks.

“Yes please. Could I have one Long Island Iced Tea and two shots of tequila, please?” Just for starters, I thought, smiling when the bartender whipped out the drinks faster than I’d anticipated. I took a seat at the bar, downing the shots without hesitation and then enjoying the rush of excitement as the alcohol filtered through my system. As I sipped on the “iced tea”, I noticed that the bartender was in fact very attractive. He was quite tall, well over 6 foot, maybe even 6’6”, and built to match his height. But while his deeply tanned skin and messy blonde hair were indeed appealing, what really strung me in was the size of his arms. They were at least as big as my head, and so packed with muscles that I didn’t know if there was even an inch of flab on his body at all. When he tossed bottles and poured drinks, his biceps flexed and little muscles twitched all over his arms. I was snapped out of my stalking when he slid back down to where I was seated at the bar, his ever-present smile flickering slightly as I finished off the last of my drink.