Chapter Ten: Let the Right One In

Benny’s POV

            I remained in bed for the next two days, mostly sleeping and throwing up in equal measure. By the time Monday rolled around, I felt stable enough to at least attend my classes for the day, but I called in sick to the hospital so they’d know I wasn’t going to show up for my shift. For obvious reasons, Mickey also wouldn’t be expecting me for tutoring, which just meant I had five classes to show up to and then I could resume my permanent residence in bed. Dragging myself into the shower for the first time in nearly a week was hard, but getting dressed seemed nearly impossible. I was sitting down on the edge of my bed in just my underwear and bra, cradling my broken left arm in my right one while trying to decide what the most comfortable-yet-stylish combination of jeans and sweatshirts were, when a knock sounded on the door.

“Benny? You okay in there?”

“I’m fine, Sam!” I called back, trying not to let my best friend’s hyper-vigilance get on my nerves. I’d barely been left alone all weekend; between Sam watching TV with me all day and Mickey curling up beside me at night, I’d literally not had a moment to myself since Friday night. And sure enough, the door burst open and Sam strolled right in, concern etched into every line on his face.

“What’re you doing just sitting there? Get dressed!”

“Fine, geez,” I grumbled, standing up and brushing past him while Sam stood with his arms crossed, staring me down. I swiftly stepped into my loosest pair of black jeans, shimmying them over my boot, and a dark red sweatshirt imprinted with the black Green Day band logo. Then I added my right combat boot and headed to the bathroom to rub lotion on my face and throw my hair up into a ratty bun before I faced Sam with a sassy hand placed on my hip.

“All done.”

“Great, now let’s go. Do you need help down the stairs?” Sam asked, leading the way down the hall and stopping at the landing to look up at me questioningly. Scoffing, I bridled by him and clomped down the stairs, grabbing my backpack off the railing as I went. My head was spinning and keeping my eyelids open was a struggle, but I managed to push past it as I poured coffee into one of my travel cups and grabbed a Luna bar for breakfast.

***                                                                  ***                                                      ***

            Mickey managed to catch up to me after my last class of the day, Organic Chemistry, as I crossed campus with Jenna in tow. I’d been so desperate to avoid him that I’d even struck up a conversation with the nosy little bitch.

“Hey,” he said, swiping his dark hair out of his eyes and fixing me with the same expression Sam had been wearing all weekend; like he was looking at a broken doll.

“What?” I retorted, turning away from Jenna without so much as a goodbye and stalking off in the other direction. Mickey followed, of course, grabbing my good arm and forcing me to stop.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong, per se.”

“Then what? Did I do something wrong?” Mickey asked, worry coloring his tone and making his eyebrows scrunch together. Sighing, I adjusted my body so I was fully facing Mickey and I put my right hand on my hip with as much attitude as I could muster. God, I’m being awfully feisty today.

“What is this, Mickey? We haven’t gone on a real date, we barely know each other, and yet-“

“I know you, Benny.”