Chapter Six: Growing Pains

For the rest of the week, I spent every possible moment with Mickey. He picked me up for class in the mornings and walked with me across campus between classes; we drank coffee and talked in The Muddy Cup during our free time, and I even stalked the gym when he had practice so I could "accidentally" bump into him. I didn't know what had gotten into me, but the irresistible allure of Mickey Lafitte was too strong for me to deny.

"I'm on my way, okay? God, stop yelling at me Sam! I said I'd pick up the meat and I will!" I screamed hysterically at my best friend over the phone as I fumbled for my keys in the parking lot of the University Virginia Hospital. I'd just gotten off my volunteer shift at the hospital and was on my way home when Sam had texted saying he needed ground beef. Considering I'd responded amicably, I was rather shocked that Sam had called me in such a fuss.

                 Hopping into my Jeep, I started the engine and peeled out of the parking lot in the direction of the grocery store. When I finally parked in the back of the lot due to the popular hour, I was frustrated and stomped into the Whole Foods with my earbuds in and a deep scowl on my face. Marching to the meats section, I snatched up two packs of ground beef and turned to go to the register when I found the way blocked by a truck-sized torso. Looking up, my gaze scanned over the largest man I'd ever seen in my life; standing at about 6'10", the guy was built like a WWE fighter with biceps larger than my head and dark tan skin that was crisscrossed with millions and millions of angry black tattoos. All of his hair seemed to be focused on the circle beard he had growing on his face, leaving the top of his head nearly bald.

"Um...can I help you?" I stammered with a lot less attitude than I would've liked. The giant chuckled, bringing his huge hands forward to clench into fists at his sides menacingly. It suddenly occurred to me that this guy could be trying to hurt me, and no matter how many self-defense lessons I'd gotten, I didn't think I could make any sort of mark on this guy. There was no class in "Beating Down Hagrid". And with my boot and cast hindering me, I knew I was in serious trouble. I began to slide backwards, out of the aisle and into the space where other people could see me, but the man's hands shot out and gripped my shoulders tightly, painfully.

"I know who you are," he growled in a voice so deep I would've sworn it was audio-tuned if I hadn't heard it with my own two ears. I trembled underneath his bruising grip, mentally debating whether or not screaming would give me a better chance of survival or screw me completely.

"I-I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong person...I don't know you."

"But I know you. You're Benny Chambers," he said quietly, stepping closer to me until I was pressed up against the shelf of chips behind me. A shudder rocked through me as immobilizing fear washed over me in an icy coat. I was just about to yell for help when I spotted a corner of somebody's black shirt behind the Hulk holding me, and seconds later a loud voice rang out in a commanding tone.

"Kent. Enough." My jaw dropped when the guy – Kent – immediately let go of me and stepped back. I collapsed to the ground, my legs giving way as the crushing terror flooded out of my body and left me weak and trembling. To my continued surprise, the guy who'd saved me was Mickey! He crouched down in front of my face, staring into my eyes intently.

"Benny, are you okay?"

"Uhhh...um...I think so," I answered in a high-pitched, breathless tone that made me sound like a clueless action movie bimbo. I let Mickey help me up before I flung myself into his arms and held onto him tightly. His woodsy scent and toned muscles held enough familiarity and reassurance to calm my frayed nerves, and I sighed contentedly when he wrapped his arms around me and cradled me against his chest. While Mickey and I had been getting to know each other all week, we hadn't actually touched, and I was amazed at how good it felt to be comforted by him. With another unpleasant shock, I realized it was because I'd trusted Mickey. He'd saved my life, and now seemed to just keep saving me; I felt inexplicably safe in Mickey's presence.