Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Here we are," Eddie announced as she pulled the car into the driveway. For the first time in over a month Jamie was almost inside his own home.

He smiled as she took in the outer structure, Danny and the contractors had put in an attractive ramp leading to the side door so that Eddie could easily get him inside. The side door was made wider along with most of the doors on the first floor of the old house. Over the doorway was a sign, "Welcome Home, Jamie..." He felt a little like a celebrity seeing everyone waiting for him on the porch with one notable exception.

Jamie's face fell as he took inventory and did not find his son. "He's working, Sweetheart. He's going to come over later, all right?" Eddie hoped she didn't lie.

She put the car in park and popped the trunk, producing Jamie's wheelchair. She unfolded it as he fumbled with the seatbelt and unhooked it from the clasp. Jamie opened the car door then tried to pivot in the car seat to get out of the car. He wasn't able to turn himself. His right side was strong but because he sat on the passenger side he had nothing to push down on. He tried three times. Danny saw his brother's dilemma as did Erin. Danny held back, he knew he'd make Eddie angry and embarrass Jamie if he pushed but Erin had no such reservations. She hurried down and stood beside Eddie. "Aren't you going to help him?"

"No, Erin, the therapist taught him how," Eddie replied and reached out to free Jamie's right leg. "Now push down on my arm with you good arm and turn around. You can do it Jamie."

It took a few more tries and a lot of grunting and groaning but finally after a half hour Jamie was seated in his wheelchair. Eddie put pillows on either side of his hips and against his bad leg. It tended to turn out and would cramp and misalign his back if she let it do that. "Ready?"

Jamie nodded smiling again. Erin watched Eddie push his chair up the ramp and inside. "Wouldn't a power chair be better for him? He could be more independent..."

"No, the therapist says that once he is stronger using his weak arm to power this chair will help him regain full use. I know you want to do everything for him like you did when he was a little boy, but he's not a little boy, he is a 59 year old man that does not need you babying him."

Eddie already had enough. She put Jamie's chair next to Frank's recliner in the living room. The family soon settled in making plates of food that Linda brought over. There were lots of thick dips and soft breads to go with them, very tasty for everyone but easy for Jamie to chew and swallow.

"Uncle Jamie," Jack began. "Or perhaps I should say Commission Reagan because this is a little bit about work. Aunt Eddie asked I didn't say anything while you were in the hospital but...Blue flu is over, all officers are back on the job in full force and everyone is waiting for your return." Jack handed Jamie a box full of cards and letters from his officers from Academy cadets right on up to his Chief of Detectives and Deputy Commissioners. "Everyone really misses you. I assured them all you would be back as soon as you were able."

Jamie was touched by the outpouring of support from the rank and file. He had tried his best for them and now they realized it.

Across town, in a 12 story walk up, Joey sat on the sofa with his partner, Annie. Her sons were asleep in his room, nap time was around now each day. Joey was drinking a beer, he'd showed up an hour ago, sat on the sofa and asked for the beer. He said nothing since so finally Annie pushed, "You going to sit here all day and melt into my sofa or are you going to talk to me? Wasn't your Dad getting out of the hospital today?"

Joey nodded, "Yeah, yeah, and the entire family is probably over at the house welcoming him home. I didn't see any reason to spoil a good time."

"Joe..." Annie sighed. "I thought you were letting go of all of that. That night when he had the stroke, we talked about all of this. You said you were going to let it go and start fresh."