Chapter Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two

After the appetizers, a choice of arancini or goat cheese filled artichoke hearts, and pasta, a choice of primavera or ala vodka, was served Johnny the DJ initiated another round of kissing for the Lila and Steven clinking his water glass until others joined in. Once they ended the sweet kiss, Johnny spoke, "And now ladies and gentlemen we would like to bring out our newlyweds, Mr. and Mrs. Tenney, to dance their first dance as husband and wife. They'll be dancing to a great one and an old one, from 1960...What a Wonderful World by Sam Cooke. Let's them a big hand."

The song was light and playful very similar to Steven and Lila themselves. Their relationship was nothing if not fun and warm. At one point as Steven spun Lila around on the dance floor, she dropped her head back and laughed, her face glowing with happiness.

When the last chord of the music died down, Steven hugged Lila close, keeping her at his side and Johnny announced the next event. "Now joining the bride and groom on the dance floor will be the bridal party for....the bridal party dance....here's a song picked out for you from the bride and groom ...Let's rock it up a little bit with Celebrate by Kool and the Gang..."

Jamie felt his heart speed up with the tempo of the music. He was all of a sudden light headed thinking he was about to be showcased. When it was Eddie, it wasn't a big deal if he faltered, but it was his baby girl on her big day. He didn't want to embarrass her.

He reached for Eddie's hand, and drew on her strength. "You will do fine," she whispered. "I promise. If you need me, I'm here, and I'll see okay." Eddie kissed his head and pushed a stray hair off his forehead. "Take a deep breath, don't let her see you are nervous."

Suddenly, it was time. Johnny was making the announcement, "And now we would like to clear the dance floor for everyone except our bride...and Lila, if you could find your dad, Jamie." Lila's eye went right to Jamie. She walked over and reached out her hand just like she did when she was a small girl and wanted him to come see a creation she'd made or play a game. "If you can't it's okay, I can just sit with you."

"Let's do it," Jamie smiled, his nerves leaving at the touch of his daughter's hand in his own. The stood in the middle of the dance floor, Jamie using Lila's hand as his cane. "It looks like we are ready for our father/daughter dance. Here's a song picked just for you dad.... I Loved Her First."

Look at the two of you dancing that way
Lost in the moment and each other's face
So much in love you're alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

Jamie thought of just a few moments ago when he saw the two of them. Lila and Steven had blocked everyone else out. It was just the two of them, in their playful dance. If the entire room had gotten up and left, they would have continuing dancing to the music their love for each other created. Jamie knew his baby was so lucky to have found this love so early in her young life.

He remembered when she was six and had her first grade father daughter dance. She dressed in a blue and white eyelet dress that spun around. She stood on Jamie's feet night after night wanting to be the best dancer in the entire class. She proclaimed that night when they arrived she had the handsomest Dad in the entire world. She pecked him on the cheek, Jamie felt his heart melt.

But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first